• Register Today It's free!

V8 swap. FEPS error?

1998rollover

Reaction score
City, State
Weiser, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer
Got my VXDIAG VCXNANO IDS device working today and went looking around in the inner workings of my V8 swapped 2002 Sport Trac.

It's a clone of the Rotunda VCMII, a "clean" design in a smaller case than the knockoffs in plastic copies of the original's bulky die cast metal housing.

IDS says there's an update for the PCM but programming it failed with a FEPS communications failure. Don't know what the guy who did the swap may have left disconnected or connected wrong. It also cannot complete the KOEO and KOER tests.

The donor of the entire drivetrain was a 1998 Mountaineer. I set the new tire size, speedo reads 1~2 MPH fast. I could measure the circumference and input the exact revs/mile to get it closer.

One thing I'll find very useful and making the thing well worth the cost is installing the brand new ABS module and pump. Dunno how many hundreds of $ a dealer would charge, if they'd even do it. Ones around here I talked to were clueless about programming, and likely wouldn't touch a mongrel V8 swapped Trac.

I have another 1998 Mountaineer. I'm going to see if this will update it. If so, I should be able to swap the Mountaineer PCM temporarily from the Sport Trac to it to update it - but it would be better to have it working in the Trac.

I was hoping to see if I could make the rear window work or at least see what the system says is wrong, but since IDS see it as a "Mountaineer" there's nothing available in module programming for the rear window. (Bloody stupid to have a *computer controlled* window!) I tried the reset procedure before having the drivetrain swap done but that didn't fix it. It's crying out for a bit of brute force hacking to replace the control with a direct and simple system like it should've had. A limit switch for the vent position and some simple circuitry so that twisting the switch ignores the vent limit switch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there's only 3 wires that run from the ecu to the obd-ii port, the data - pin15 and + pin16 and the programming wire pin13

here's the full pin out for most eec-v's

http://info.efidynotuning.com/pinouts.htm

if the ids is looking at the vin for options you can replace the vin in there with tuning software

I tried it on a 1998 Mountaineer that hasn't been mucked about with, same FEPS error when attempting to clear the KAM or update the calibration. It did show a TSB number about programming the PCM out of the vehicle. All other functions work.

Where might I get that done, without it costing a huge amount?

you can send it to me and i can reflash it

what problems are you having that has you looking for an update ?

How much for the flash and how far away are you? I'm in Weiser, Idaho.

At times it gets to running really badly. I installed new spark plugs, wires and coils, after which it runs much better, most of the time. Then randomly it acts like its flooding and it gets lousy mileage.

It's also continually re-set a VSS error code. I need to check for that again since the light is on again since I set the new tire size. 245/75R16 It reads about 2MPH faster than GPS indicates. If the Other option allows direct entry of revs/mile I'll measure the actual tire circumference and calculate the revs/mile to see if it can get closer.

Front hubs are new with new ABS sensors and I installed a new sensor in the rear before the swap.

I do need to install the new ABS unit since I found where in IDS the service bleed function is. There's four ABS error codes that basically amount to "Your ABS module is f@#$ed."

im in new orleans, well err umm, I'm in salt lake city right now but im based out of new orleans, i'll be flying back this week if i don't make a pit stop in indianapolis

no update is going to fix that it sounds like your ecu is taking a crap, best bet would be to replace it

go to the junkyard and get yourself a replacement ecu from another 98 explorer like yours, be sure to label which is yours and which came from the yard, ship them both to me and i'll reflash both of them in case yours does craps out you can simply swap it and keep on truckin'

I'd hate to see you still have issues after the fact

flash is $100, you can shoot me an email decipha at efidynotuning dot com

Back