V8 Swap for 96 X sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 Swap for 96 X sport?

Hello Everyone

I have a 1996 Explorer Premium Sport (2 door). For the past few weeks I have noticed an antifreeze smell. A mechanic told me that both heads were leaking Left side more so that the right. She has about 80,000 miles and everything is orginal. I was told that to repair the leaking gaskets could be expensive and if the the heads are damaged I might need a new engine? I thought a new engine lets make it a V8 then...

I've search this forum and few other places, and found information more for the gen1 explorers and ranges. I wondering how that compares to an engine swap for a gen2 (96 Explorer).

I'm looking for a general swap- (not a race truck= high Hp, or for off road use etc), not a drastic conversion.

What will I need? (this is what I've read-please correct me if its wrong or if there are better ideas).
1. V8 engine= 302 from an explorer works the best 96 to (?); is one year better than another?
2 Transmission= can I use the transmission already in the 96 explorer or do I need to use a different one. A trans that is used in the V8 explorers?
3. Wiring = It has to be a harness for the v8, anything else?
4. Swap kit (motor mount, different oil pan etc). The forum mentioned L&L Products, Advance Adaptors, etc. The web sites look more for off road use and has items for Bronco (not specifically exploreres)? Will I need the entire kit?
5. Is there anything else that needs to be converted?

It seems that the V8 swap would be easier for the 96 explorer than for the eariler explorers and Bronco II. I could be wrong?

Two things worry me. The v8 was not an option for the 2 door sport explorers, and I have a switch to change for 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive, and the V8 were AWD (I think). Is this an issue with the conversion?

Any information for the V8 swap for a 96 2 door explorer will be greatly appriciated. A referral to previous post, anyone have a guide or even knows a mechanic in Northeastern Pennsylvania that can perform this swap.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Find Eric's 302 conversion thread for his 99 Explorer. He laid out most of what you will need. Skip the custom stuff from 1st gen swaps, you can use all OEM parts from the donor 96-01 trucks.

You have to have a 2WD GEM module for your model, which is identical to the V8 AWD GEM module(same part number). You remove your 4WD module, and TOD module, simply remove them. That is all to change to remove the 4WD electronics from your truck. I don't know if you can use a 97 2WD GEM, but you cannot use a 98-01 GEM. Get a 96 GEM to be safe, unless Jamie or others tell you that 97 is the same as a 96 GEM.

You have to have the 302 trans from the Explorer, get the AWD version to keep your front drive parts, plus the V8 front driveshaft.

Get a 96 or 97 PCM, to avoid the PATS of 1998+. You have to have all of the V8 system, all wiring, the radiator, the O2 sensors and cat pipes, and exhaust manifolds.

To save the most time and money, find a donor vehicle intact with all of those parts in it. A decent rollover can be great for that, check with the salvage companies and their websites. They auction off that kind of vehicle all the time.

I am very interested in doing this myself, dropping in a v8 into a 99 sport manual. I can't seem to find Eric's 302 conversion thread for his 99 Explorer. Do you have a link to it by chance?

Thanks of the help

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The info is a big help. The swap does seem to be a bit easier than for the gen1. The electrical is very helpful. I had no I idea about the sensors etc?

Thanks Again

Back