V8 swap help needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 swap help needed

Bootless

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer 4x4
OK guys got a 94 x 4x4 I'm wanting a carbureted v8 I'm not sure if I want ford or Chevy I'm looking for easiest swap I wanna stay 4x4 I'm looking for tips andbparts list

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search is your friend, there are a lot of threads on V8 swaps here

The only swap I have knowledge of is an OBD-I 302 / Mustang V8 into BII / 1st gen Ex / Ranger. for our Exporers, a 1" body lift is very helpful, but not required, for clearances/ heater box will probably need to be modded / transmission tunnel has a flange that may need to be persuaded upwards and away from your tranny / radiator support may need to be cut depending on your clearances / etc. etc. Please search for details.

I've heard, but do not know firsthand, that Chevy carb'ed is easier to wire and work on than Ford, but that's just what I've heard. I am not familiar with the transmissions you would use with any of those various Chevy blocks, either.

Why don't you just go LS1 swap and be done with it :)

I'm not sure why you would want to go carbureted, but that is your decision. It is my opinion that ford cannot build engines. The only engine they ever got right was the 300. That's the only ford engine I would swap in IMO. You have a good selection of transmission to choose from chevy. 700r4 is always a favorite for autos, with a tall overdrive. Th350 and 400 are options too if you don't mind not having overdrive. If money was no issue The perfect vehicle in my head is a first gen explorer with SBC and sm465 manual transmission. Luckily the 4.0 and m5od is a good enough combo for me to not bother with anything else.

The biggest issue will be the transfer case. Ford is drivers side drop where chevy is traditionally passenger side. A friend of mine did a similar swap on a jeep with a chevy 350 and 700r4. I'm not sure what transfer case he used, but it was a jeep transfer case with an adapter he bought. I'm sure both front and rear driveshafts are custom.

I'm not sure why you would want to go carbureted, but that is your decision. It is my opinion that ford cannot build engines. The only engine they ever got right was the 300. That's the only ford engine I would swap in IMO.

This is the most rediculous thing I've heard on this forum. This guy must have bow tie undies.
:thumbdwn:

This is the most rediculous thing I've heard on this forum. This guy must have bow tie undies.
:thumbdwn:

There's no need for that kind of post on EF. Why did you post that? Go to Pirate 4x4 if you feel like posting like that.

I'm just honest. The SBF isn't bad, but it's my opinion the SBC is more reliable, and easier to work on. It's a fact SBC can make more power for less money, and parts are much easier to find.

As for carburetors, they are a barely controlled fuel leak. I like tinkering, but there is a limit.

Back