v8 swap on 1997 ford explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v8 swap on 1997 ford explorer

97exploder3168

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer xlt
I am wanting to know about a few things before I try this swap... First, I have a 1997 ford explorer with 4.0 auto 4wd. Everything works it just has that all too familiar timing chain chatter. Second, I have a 351w that is carbed that I am rebuilding to drop into something. I love this explorer and with the power of that 351 it can only get better well until I get gas but I digress. I am wondering if is a "simple" buy a adapter kit and drop it in or am I looking a replacing a lot of stuff just to get that to work? Another thing, if anyone has any idea how to stop that annoying timing chain chatter without replacing the whole chain or the motor please speak up and if links are available please share thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 351 will require custom headers, and a bit of custom wiring, but other than that you should be able to use 5.0 bolt on stuff. dont hold me to the "other stuff" though

different pan, you will need to get a balancer made. there are a few threads around about putting that motor in. not sure what it would take if your going carb. there are a few threads kicking around on the pro's and cons on dropping a 351 in, and the cons out weighted the pros.

4r70w?

Do you have a 4WD transmission to go with the 351 Windsor engine? All of the 2nd generation V8 Explorers came with the 4R70W transmission. The 4R70W transmission is PCM controlled. Your 5R55E transmission is not compatible with the 5.0L V8 or the 351W.

Custom headers will be needed but without a significant body lift there is insufficient room for a truly high performance exhaust system.

A carbureted engine will be difficult to integrate with the PCM. A custom tune will be required. If you don't use the PCM you will lose a lot of functions that involve the PCM.

The 5.8L Windsor would be a nice engine for the Explorer due to the increased torque. It would be a better choice than the 351W since it has fuel injection and OBDII. However, doing that conversion is a significant effort and still has the exhaust performance limitation.

I suggest that you save the 351W for a more suitable vehicle and fix your timing chain issues.

Use the short block, get a gt40 lower intake for the 351 and swap everything else from a 96/97 5.0 explorer. You will need to contact the company that's making the torque monster headers and see if they can adjust a set for the height / angle difference. You will need a tune and the mentioned balancer and a custom egr tube. Then you gotta make sure the firing order is the same and that will give you as close to plug and play setup as possible with a 351. Or just stuff it in with the 5.0 explorer motor mounts run a four barrel Carb a c6 or c4 or stick with and still need custom headers and a lot of work to the radiator core support area or 5.0 explorer front accessory and timing cover and water pump and a custom balancer

yeah, thats what I was afraid of it sounds easier and cheaper just to replace the motor

^^^priceless.. Big dreams shattered..

It really is more work than its worth. I would just get a 5.0 and mod that.

I have a question for the guys mentioning a balancer. If im were to install a 351w using the factory mated c6 from the donor vehicle and remain carb'd would i still need a custom balancer or will i be able to use the stock balancer from the 87 f-350 the donor drivetrain came from. I ask because i have a complete drivetrain just laying around, and am not afraid to modify the stock 351 pan to clear the explorer crossmember, but im still researching other modifications. I have a 3" body lift so i "think" the stock manifolds can work, but im not afraid to get a DIY header kit and make my own either

Back