V8 swap thread discussion | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 swap thread discussion

I'm wanting to use a Holley Terminator X system to run the V-8 in my swap in a 2003 ST that was 4.0 SOHC powered . I assume that I will need to leave the old PCM in place to operate some of the other systems in the vehicle. I also believe that I will need to ground the blue with an orange stripe PATS wire so that the starter solenoid will work. Do I just need to remove the CEL bulb so that the partially unhooked PCM that is tripping the light will not have a light to trip? I'm sure that someone must have done a swap similar to this. I'm not starting with a 99 to 01 donor Explorer. Just a 5.0 long block and a 1989 AOD, pre electronic. There is also a Dakota Digital box that needs to be used to make the speedometer and tachometer function.

I wouldn't build an AOD for that project unless your budget is very low, and that Holley X system is not a cheap one. The AOD has big deficiencies compared to the 4R70W, and the real extra cost for the 4R is $700 at most. I've got plans for at least two 4R's in older Fords, so I will be hunting the Quick Shift 4 to run those. They have turned up complete for about $400 several times.

The AOD can be built with many 4R guts parts. But the inherent weak input shaft, the big rpm drop shifting to 3rd, and poor shift point control, are big weaknesses. There's smaller things too, but those alone should make anyone try very hard to make a 4R work instead. I have an AOD in my 92 Lincoln, and it's low mileage, stock. One of my first tasks will be to build a 4R70, without the "W" wide ratio. I'll build it with AODE planetary parts(4), to make the ratios match the AOD. So I'll remove the AOD weak links, and end with a strong trans that has the same ratios, plus will shift where I tune it to, for all gears. The cost will be that controller and its harness, plus the work to adapt it to my car, and a few upgrade parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no reason to use at factory pcm if you have engine and transmission controls under wraps. The ac and all the gauges can be wired in without or yank out the gauges and put your own aftermarket in.

Ditto, and some aftermarket PCM's can control the 4R70W for example. That Holley may be able to, I don't know the differences of their models.

Ok. I was brought the 2003 Explorer ST and a running/driving 1989 LTD Crown Vic. If the OBD1 is retained and not use the Terminator X system, I don't think that a later model 4R70 would work with it. I also have at my disposal a 1996 V-8 Thunderbird 4R70 parts that could be used with the AOD possibly to upgrade a bit. I'm not all in tune with the AODs/4R70s and upgrades. I've read about several modifications but I'll get a transmission man involved for that.
To start with is get the few top sellable engines parts off of it and then get the rest of the engine/trans out. If there is anyone in driving distance that needs the transmission out of it? Just ask. It will be cheap. 195,000 miles when the engine did what it did. I don't even know what kind of auto it is.

I know that you don't like the stock 96-01 PCM, but that is the easiest way to swap a 302 into a Sport Trac, the bodies are the same as the 2nd gen for the engine bay etc. That's all cut and dried to make happen, while using an older EEC IV system is less desirable, and harder to do in that Sport Trac. It will still need the Explorer front dress, which is the only one short enough to fit behind the radiator. The Holley X I don't know what details it needs to operate the 302, but it should be as easy as in any Mustang etc(except for the connections which are plug for a Fox Mustang(for that special Holley model made for it)).

The AOD can be upgraded easily by any good trans guy or anyone who has rebuilt an automatic.

Thanks Don for the input and info. I see that you remembered that I'm not very fond of the '96-'01 waste spark system. I do wish that the donor vehicle was a Gen 2 V-8 explorer then I wouldn't have to be chasing parts. I wasn't aware that the Explorer front dress is shorter but it makes sense. There is one "W" vin at a nearby junkyard that hopefully has the accessories on the front. So many of the V-8 Gen 2s that I've seen around here have been crushed. Most of the ones that I see have had the heads pulled. The junk yard that has one will not sell the complete truck. That is their policy. I assume a paperwork issue. I wanted to buy it, take off what I need and sell the rest back to them. I do have my personal MM 5.0 but I'm not sacrificing anything off of it. It's being saved for my Ranger project.
I just spent the last 30-40 minutes searching the area for Explorers. They are either priced too high and too nice to take apart or in the case of the parts trucks, the V-8s have been removed. I wonder if the V-8 Fox body or V-8 94-95 Mustangs have the "compact" bracketry?
I'm a little surprised that no one has said that the AOD is shorter than the 4R70W. Here is the solution for that.
driveshaft rear flange/diffy flange spacers
I think that I heard that the AOD is 3/4" shorter.
Also I do have a spare pair of 1998 V-8 factory headers. I know they are not very desirable but they work.

The AOD has two different lengths, which is just the rear shaft and the tail housing. The 4R is a little fatter but basically the same otherwise.

You need the front dress from any 96-01 302 Explorer, you can mix them as they are all the same. Only the 94/95 Mustang 302 has similar short front dress, I think it's about 3/8" out farther, but that's close. For that Sport Trac, I would actually rather go after the 99-01 PCM and wiring, cam synchronizer(new from Ford), and fuel rails. If you can locate those, most of the rest you can make what you have work(engine etc). The 98-01 EGR pipe is made for the P headers, but if you can fit them to any SBF head, that should work except for getting the EGR pipe right, the length and bends etc. Of course you may leave off the EGR with retune of the PCM to disable that, I wouldn't suggest that for the trouble and little gain.

You will also need other 302 engine bay parts from the Explorers. Use the V6 AC condenser bracket, which mounts that without the radiator. You'll need things like the charcoal canister emissions lines at the front of the engine etc, those parts you should be able to find here from members with spare parts. You can also piece together most everything that way, using a donor vehicle just makes it easier as the project goes along. The hardest parts will be the engine/trans wiring, oil pan, and some other odd things.

Waste spark ignition is better than a distributor, just saying.....

@boominXplorer I agree, and I think that COP or CNP are even better than that. I don't have a 1999 to 2001 one 'donor' Explorer. As I shared with @CDW6212R some time back, my 1997 broke down on me when it fried a coil. When I was trying to get it going again it burned up 6 more coils. All of my 'test' coils and 4 more. So the problem with it is PCM or harness or both. I haven't taken it apart quite far enough to see if there is anything that I can see physically wrong with it. The PCM looked good on the inside for what that is worth.
Now after all of you guys input it has made it easier for me to decide what to do. This weekend I'm going to talk to the poor college student whom the truck and the 1989 CV belong to. I'm going to get him to come get the Crown Vic and take it and drive it the rest of the Semester. In the meantime, that will give give me several months to locate a wrecked running 1999. That means it should have a good PATS key unless someone has modified the PCM.
Thanks again Y'all...

Back