V8 Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 Swap

SolidExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Hey yall. Pretty new to this forum so forgive me if im not posting in the right place.
I am also new to Explorers. Im thinking about buying a 1997 Explorer. I have a D44 and 9" that I would put under it.
It currently has a 6 cyl in it and it has a coolant leak and everywhere im seeing people talk about their trannys going out... so I was wondering about putting in a V8. Has anyone done this? I want to put either a 302 or 351W. I think some of the Explorers came with a 302, correct? Were there any in the 1997s? That would probably be the easiest swap if they did make them in 97.

Thanks for any help/info.
Travis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

95-01 explorers came with the 5.0L 302ci V8 option.

Yes
The best way -
find a rolled v8-awd
you will have a hard time putting a 351 in, but the truck will swallow the 302 easy
look for a 98-01. They have the higher flowing gt40-P heads
You will need all of the wire harness, pcm, ignition switch and keys,pats module-Gem module and a bunch of relays. This is why the whole truck is the best option. You should be able to find a rolled one for less than 1k

Once you have that done-you swap in a 4406 manual 4wd transfer case

If you search the site well enough, you'll find several people have done this--

Look for threads by

99sportx
410fortune
Moiuntaineergreen

If I remember correctly, 95 4 door 2wd Eddie Bauer was the first v8 Explorer. I believe the 96 to 01 are all 4 door AWD. All are automatic. I only recall seeing 4 door AWD v8's, but some odd combination might exist that I have not seen or read about.
I just bought a 96 v8 off of Ebay with a bad t-case (to fix and drive) for about $1200.
Putting a v8 in a 2 door may have additional issues, but should also work. You will need the v8 tranny as the v6 and v8 bell housing patterns are different. The engine and tranny will cost almost as much as a parts car. Craigslist is a great resource too.

Ziggy

If I remember correctly, 95 4 door 2wd Eddie Bauer was the first v8 Explorer. I believe the 96 to 01 are all 4 door AWD. All are automatic. I only recall seeing 4 door AWD v8's, but some odd combination might exist that I have not seen or read about.
I just bought a 96 v8 off of Ebay with a bad t-case (to fix and drive) for about $1200.
Putting a v8 in a 2 door may have additional issues, but should also work. You will need the v8 tranny as the v6 and v8 bell housing patterns are different. The engine and tranny will cost almost as much as a parts car. Craigslist is a great resource too.

Ziggy

You are incorrect on most issues except craigslist.-sorry

there are 2wd v-8's as well as awd.
All factory v8's are 4 door-(you had this correct)
available ONLY 96-01
there are several v8-two door, or "sport" swaps which have been easily accomplished.

As I said before-search!

how much time would it take an experienced team of 2 or 3 to accomplish a v8 swap?

also, is it possible to maintain the electric 4wd switch instead of installing a manual 4wd transfer case?

You could do the swap in a weekend. The v8's never came with 4wd. Only AWD or 2wd. Several members have swapped in Bw4406 t cases, including one with factory style electronic switched 4wd.

Back