• Register Today It's free!

V8 Throttle Body Replacement

toddyfiveo

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Adrenalin
Not sure if anyone has looked into it or not, but I was looking at throttle bodies of other vehicles on rockauto. The 2008 F150 5.4 and my 2008 STA share the same part number for a new throttle body. This got me thinking that maybe I could use an aftermarket BBK or some other company. The BBK is much cheaper than the modified Zabtek throttle bodies.

I think I may try this, if anyone has done this already chime in please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used the Zabtek throttle body and have been very pleased with it. I assume he is still using new, not rebuilt units before they are bored and new oversize throttle plate installed. What I liked about his unit, nothing had to be reprogrammed,the computer adjusted itself after a short period of time. It had a better throttle response and it picked up a little more mileage.

The BBK doesn't require any additional tuning either. I checked with another parts supplier and the 08 F150 and ST share the same throttle body part number. I found one on eBay I am going to try it if I can get it bought. If not I will wait a little longer and buy a new one to try out.

Well the BBK throttle body 1759 from an F150 worked like a charm. Took about 20 minutes to swap everything over and fired up with no issues at all. I can hear through the intake that it is sucking way more air than before. I will get some pictures up when I am not at work.

3BB35177-36A3-4053-BDD8-A3F374C5C9A4.jpg
']
3BB35177-36A3-4053-BDD8-A3F374C5C9A4.jpg

Ive only seen the 4.0 throttle body offered by Zabtec. Is that throttle body going to work on a 4.6 3v?

Ive only seen the 4.0 throttle body offered by Zabtec. Is that throttle body going to work on a 4.6 3v?
The Zabtek on mine is for a 4.6 3v

Yes it's on my 08 STA with the 4.6 3V. The part number from BBK is in my signature. It worked out perfect and took 15 minutes to install.

So I presume it was fairly easy to switch over the TPS assembly?

Yeah the entire process is simple. BBK gives good instructions on how to swap the parts over.

Cool! :thumbsup: I guess I'll add this to my project list. ;)

Well the BBK throttle body 1759 from an F150 worked like a charm. Took about 20 minutes to swap everything over and fired up with no issues at all. I can hear through the intake that it is sucking way more air than before. I will get some pictures up when I am not at work.
Any issues pairing up that 80MM TB for F-150s, Expeditions, etc. (Part Number 1759) with the K&N CAI for an Explorer (Part Number 57-2573FIPK)? I'm with you, appears the TB part numbers are the same for all the 3Vs in those years, so I can't see why I'd spend $200+ more on the Zabtek part if the BBK one will work.

I just brought home a 2010 ST XLT with the 4.6L 3V. Looking to improve the airflow and exhaust. Thanks.

No issues at all. It does get mounted upside down though compared to the F150. BBK stamping will be on bottom where you can't see it. Just got a breenspeed tune also and it all works together great.

No issues at all. It does get mounted upside down though compared to the F150. BBK stamping will be on bottom where you can't see it. Just got a breenspeed tune also and it all works together great.
So you would recommend tuning then? A previous post said the BBK didn't require any additional tuning.

You do not need any tuning to run the BBK throttle body. To maximize all your mods when complete I would get a tune. It really woke up my STA.

You do not need any tuning to run the BBK throttle body. To maximize all your mods when complete I would get a tune. It really woke up my STA.
Right on, thanks for the clarification.

I just put the BBK 1759 throttle body on my 09 STA 4.6 and am really happy with the results. I would recommended this mod to anyone interested in a more little get up an go especially during acceleration.
The install was rather easy although not without its quirks.

The original TPS and throttle position motor off the old throttle body and reuse them on the new BBK throttle body.
You will have to take the throttle motor off the old throttle body and be careful there is a throttle return spring in there which I wasn't prepared for. It wasn't a big issue but the spring fitting (a plastic piece that holds the spring) that goes into the throttle position motor mounting plate (the plastic plate that holds the throttle position motor to the throttle body) there is only one way to put the spring into the plate correctly so be careful when you take it apart.

Then you have to put one wind on the spring to create enough tension to snap the butterfly valve closed when you take your foot off the accelerator. I guess all I'm saying it pay attention to when you take it apart that you get it back together correctly. It really is no big deal. You put the spring into the throttle motor mounting plate, hook it into the gear in the throttle body then wind the whole plate to put tension on the spring.

Next when I went to put the throttle body on the intake manifold the screw holes wouldn't mount up exactly, the throttle body was just a scoach (little bit) too high. So I investigated and found that Ford put three tabs that help position the throttle body to make it easier to match things up during manufacture. I had to take a pair of dykes (those are diagonal cutters otherwise called wire cutters) and cut the three tabs off then it went together just slick.

This was an easy mod however I wouldn't suggest a do-it-yourselfer try it unless feel proficient with taking things apart and putting then back together i.e. seeing what is supposed to be.

I hope this makes sense to those who might be thinking of the mod. I is worth the effort and money.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

I got a Zabteck TB from a friend a couple of years ago and installed it. I noticed a huge improvement right away.

I've never even heard of a Zabteck but I have used a BBK in a fuel injected 5.0 78 Cobra. I have been really pleased with them. It sure made a difference in the Sport Trac.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back