V8 Transfer case swap - 2nd generation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 Transfer case swap - 2nd generation

Brian Eller

Reaction score
City, State
Breezewoood
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Hi, got a question for every one, Can I swap an electronic transfer case from a V8/four speed automatic 1998 Explorer to a 1997 V6/four speed automatic transmission/sport-trac transfer case? I have both complete vehicles, so I can switch computer to match transfer case, or whatever I need to switch. Need help A.S.A.P. Transfer case out of daily driver took a crap!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no second gen electronic T case for a V8. V8s t cases are all mechanical and single speed.

There is no second gen electronic T case for a V8. V8s t cases are all mechanical and single speed.
Sorry about that, just got the parts Explorer, thought it was the same, my bad. Started asking questions before I really knew what I had. So, I guess the only swap I could do, would be years 94,95,96,97, or can I use the other transfer case, computer, switches, or whatever else I may need to swap,If not, Gonna rebuild. Do you have any suggestions as to where to get parts, rebuild kit, shift fork, gears, or what ever I may need once I get into it? Not to up on my Fords, only ever owned a couple. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you for your reply!!!

94 is out, those were 1354s. You should have a BW4405 which came on V6s from 95-2001, I believe. There may be some differences in where the Vehicle Speed Sensor is installed which might rule out some cases. 98-2001 had different 4wd settings (no 2wd setting) but I believe that is a computer function, and not the transfer case itself.

As for parts, I’d check rockauto.com first.

What is wrong with your current unit? Is it a SOHC? How bad is the V8 parts vehicle?

94 is out, those were 1354s. You should have a BW4405 which came on V6s from 95-2001, I believe. There may be some differences in where the Vehicle Speed Sensor is installed which might rule out some cases. 98-2001 had different 4wd settings (no 2wd setting) but I believe that is a computer function, and not the transfer case itself.

As for parts, I’d check rockauto.com first.

What is wrong with your current unit? Is it a SOHC? How bad is the V8 parts vehicle?
My current unit was making a whiring sound ( gears grinding ), I had researched it, and found out this is a common problem with Explorers, the shift fork in the transfer case gets worn, and won't let the gears mesh together correctly, it has been making the noise for a little while, but if you keep your foot on the gas when slowing down, it didn't do it. However, it no longer makes that noise, but much worse, something definitely broke. It is not a SOHC. The V8 parts vehicle is in pretty good shape, but needs a transmission. I found the rebuild kit for the transfer case, but won't know what damage is done till I get it a part. I have checked into rockauto, the prices are good, but shipping is way to much. I shouldn't have to much trouble finding parts, I buy a lot from Ebay, and always have had good luck.

If it were a SOHC I was going to suggest fixing/swapping the v8

Back