Vacation MPG Report

ma96782

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, 4dr
Hello all........this Memorial Day Weekend I took the Explorer from Vancouver,WA to Boise, ID.........figured I should keep track of the MPGs. Gas prices being high and all that.

I filled up just outside Portland (Troutdale, OR $3.83 a gal. reg. un-leaded) and headed East on I-84.........the cruise control was set at 60 MPH...........beautiful views of the Columbia River valley. Reached the OR/ID border (Ontario, OR) and filled up again ($3.79 a gal.).

BTW, ID has a 75 MPH speed limit. But, I was in no hurry.....set the cruise to 65 MPH.

I hit my destination, Boise, ID. But.........what's there to see?

OK..........I admit it, I went because I wanted to see Cabela's. I got to see the exhibit of the Elmer Keith's guns. And, took a peek at the "Library." Talk about high priced firearms.

Then, it was something for the family. Humm........how about going to jail? Actually, the old Territorial Prison.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/ID-Quirky.html

Yup, it's vacant now. Built in the 1870s............a prison complete with the walls and buildings. Just like I would have imagined, some old west character being locked up in. Oh........the best part was the gun collection. YES, a museum on the grounds that housed a collection of Military Firearms. I promise, I didn't know about that. Anyway, checkout the: Vickers, Maxim, Mauser, Garand, M1919, M2, Hotchkiss, Burp gun, Thompson, MP40, MG34, S&W M76, Mat49, flint locks, percussion firearms, swords, pikes, etc.........OMG!!!! O.K. enough with that, it's time to head back home.

Stopping again for gas again at the ID/OR border and a after setting the cruise control at 65 MPH........well, it's still a long trip back.

The results:

Troutdale, OR to Ontario, OR..........360 miles............23.452 MPG
Ontario, OR to Boise and back.........141 miles............21.996 MPG
Ontario, OR to Troutdale, OR...........359 miles............21.427 MPG

Total 860 miles..........average 22.329 MPG

The trip was over relatively flat land......except for one mountain. I use to get a little over 20 MPG when going to Los Angeles, CA. So, I was surprised what slowing down gained me in MPG.

Aloha, Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats not to bad ...i got the best mpg ever @ 23.4 on a 290 mile round trip into the mountains one weekend ,but i hover around 20 for in town driveing .
:D

Yes...one of the best mod's for MPG increases that people don't understand is to lighten up that right foot! lol

forgot to mention that when i got 23.4 mpg i stayed right at 2k on the tach ...that equates out to about 60-65 mph (hard to get a exact reading with a speedo that moves )...personally i thinks that pretty good mpg considering that the truck is14years old ! ;)

Two doors are also a bit lighter then the heaftier 4-doors, so will generally see a bit better MPG's. But still good for old technology!!

Ma, have you done any mods to the explorer? or just the basic maintenance?

that's awesome mileage though!!

i went to Atlanta and back, which is about 300 miles or so, and I think i average right around 25 on the highway. i set it on 2000 rpms, which was 75mph for me.

i'm doing another run, so this time i'll actually measure the exact fuel to get it dead on.

i went to Atlanta and back, which is about 300 miles or so, and I think i average right around 25 on the highway. i set it on 2000 rpms, which was 75mph for me.

i'm doing another run, so this time i'll actually measure the exact fuel to get it dead on.

That is amazing gas mileage for a first gen at that speed.

No mods to my Explorer...........and it was at 1700-1800 RPM at 60-65 MPH, automatic transmission in OD. Course, tire size and gear ratios differ between vehciles.

I get only a little over 16 MPG in the city.

Aloha, Mark

PS............I switched from Dino to Syn engine oil today.

wow 25 thats pretty good there for mpg's .your trucks not a 4 wheel drive is it (can't remember ) when i got 23.4 mpg on mine thats was before i put z-max into the truck .i really would like to see how good my mpg's are now since i put it in but with the gas price's @ $4.00 now :rolleyes: i'm haveing to control my curiosity .oh btw i hear that gas prices are going to be around the $ 7-8 mark by the end of the summer or the year (sorry i can't say this for certain or give any data on it but the way it looks right now i don't dought it at all )

....dam you saudi arabia ! (lol) :p:

That is amazing gas mileage for a first gen at that speed.

...uh oh al, looks like josh is getting close to those heels of yours :)

How are people getten this kinda mileage. I get 14 maybe 15-16 when i light foot it.

And my a4ld stays at 2200-2300 for 65-70

75% highway

Congrats! That's great mileage. I find gas mileage starts dropping above 55, but 67 is the point at which it starts dropping like a rock.

That's very low rpms for that speed. What axle do you have?

How are people getten this kinda mileage. I get 14 maybe 15-16 when i light foot it.

And my a4ld stays at 2200-2300 for 65-70

75% highway

being a 4x4 takes away from mpg's(weight) and also the rear gears in 4x4 are lower than a 2 wheel drive truck.mine has 3.73 gear ratio which makes for better mpg's on the highway but around town and slower conditions it's a bit sluggish .

23 mpg , 93 4x4 with luggage on roof, 4 people. Not bad mileage at all.

I did similar with Snowball this past weekend. (Mem Day) Drove to my parents house about 300 miles up from Grand Rapids to Rogers City- about 300 miles one way- 65 on the highway, 55 on the 2 lanes. I got 21 MPG on the way up with the air on. Back home towing my boat:

SnowballBoat.jpg

I got 17.5 with OD off in the hills. Not bad, the boat is all pressure treated wood inside, and it's actually pretty heavy:

DSCF0506.jpg

update ......... just did another test on the mpg's today with a sunday road trip .filled up @ exactlly half a tank on the guage and am getting steady 23 mpg .tho it do let let the truck warm up for about 5 minutes before i head out each time (that can hurt mpg's by ideling to long ) but the trip today was all hilly mountain driveing ! so that tells me that the z-max i put in is doing a good job.i went from 19 hwy to 23 ......not to bad i think ,still though i need to drain the diff and change out the fluid ....bet i could squeeze 24 out of her or better :D

...what out al and josh .....i'm creeping up ( lol )

maybe but i like to make sure that the oil is circulating well before i head out each time .i do know of some people that get in start the engine up and start driveing ....thats got not to be too good on the engine.your right i guess 5 min is to long maybe i should just cut it down to 2 .

maybe but i like to make sure that the oil is circulating well before i head out each time

And how do you tell if it is?

.i do know of some people that get in start the engine up and start driveing ....thats got not to be too good on the engine.

Say what?

your right i guess 5 min is to long maybe i should just cut it down to 2 .

You won't gaoining anything in your mileage hunt by doing that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well... i was taught that letting the engine warm up slightlly before driveing will help the engine live a little longer instead of putting stress on parts that have not been fully lubed with oil yet.

am i wrong in thinking this way ?

Back