Vacuum disconnect on 96 Explorer Transfer Case (?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum disconnect on 96 Explorer Transfer Case (?)

CaribouMainiac

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport 4WD
My first post....

I picked up a 96 Explorer Sport model about a week ago, and have been picking up all kinds of good info from this forum.

I purchased the truck to haul a small Boston Whaler.... so I've been going through the vehicle, looking for little things. ( so far, I've replaced the instrument cluster lamps and other interior lamps w/ LEDs', .... and while I had the dash apart, I ran the wires for the "Brown Wire Mod", but haven't picked up a switch yet. I've purchased a backup GEM on Ebay, which should arrive next week. ( as you can see below, I may have an issue w/ the GEM I have.... but haven't quite figured out the 4WD engagement issue. ( the Transfer Case was recently "gone thru", and looks pretty clean, but, as you can read below.... I don't think the guy who did the work, did a thorough job. )

I noticed that the truck does not like to go into 4WD, but will, eventually.
Once I get it to go into 4WD- Auto.... I just leave it there. (not my daily driver)
There are some apparent electrical gremlins.

I had a parasitic draw on the battery, .... I was able to track that down. (it was an old, aftermarket security alarm.... it didn't work anyway... so I removed it )

This evening I crawled under the truck and took a look at the connections to the transfer case.... it was pretty ugly.... frayed wires, shorting out against each other....both at a speed sensor, and, one other plug had bare wires ..... and THEN...... I noticed a place for a vacuum hose.... but, no hose in sight.

So,.... I can fix the frayed / shorted wired,.... but,....even after searching the forum, I can't seem to find an answer to where the other end of this missing hose goes. I read about a "box" on the passenger side of the front axle,... and I do see some small vacuum hoses coming out of that "box" area.... but no "open ports"..... and the smaller vacuum hoses that do come out of the "axle box" head towards the passenger headlight area. (not towards the transfer case)....

So.... finally.... here is the question: Where, exactly does that missing vacuum hose attach at the other end ? ( it is obvious where it attaches to the Transfer Case ). Transfer case # is: Borg Warner F57A-7A195-CA. (which I believe is also called a "4405")

So..... anybody out there ?

btw... that Brown Wire Mod will come in handy for me.... the boat ramps can be very slippery around here.... and being able to slowly crawl up a slippery ramps, with all four wheels ... without the rear wheels "slipping first", is a desired effect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that is just the vent. It usually lays up on the transmission. If you don't have one you should replace it. You will need several feet, and a suitable end cap. Then you should change the fluid in case some water got in while the vent hose was disconnected.

first of all.... thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. ....

from the research I've been doing .... it appears that the 1996 Explorer Transfer Case ( F57A-7A195 CA ) had a "transmission vacuum modulator", (or vacuum actuator) which was not on the 1997 (or later) transfer cases.

In one post I found, it was described like this:

On the front axle, about halfway between the differential and the wheel on the passenger's side is a square box. Inside of this is the front axle disconnect. If it's not working properly, you will get the symptoms you describe.

another post said this:

"The system used in the early second generation Explorers was very similar to the later second gens. The '95 and '96 model years used the same transfer case as the '97-01 in conjunction with a Center-Axle Disconnect on the front axle. In 2wd mode, the transfer case is unlocked, and the CAD essentially breaks the passenger side axle shaft between the front differential and the passenger side halfshaft. That allows the front differential to stop turning, leaving the driver's side wheel to drive only the spider gears inside the diff. "

So.... am I going down a totally wrong path ? I took the photo, below, last evening. It shows the place where ( I think ) the missing hose connects on the Transfer Case.... but..... where does it connect on the other end ?

TransferCasemissinghose.jpg

That looks like the vent barb to me...

Yes that's the vent , my guess based on my own experience is either the shift motor or more likely the guides on the shift fork inside the case are failing, clean up the wiring so you know its not a short , the front disconnect if it had a vacuum issue would cause other issues ,

Thanks for the clarification.... I guess I was going down the wrong road.....

Now to attack the frayed wire issue(s).....

check this nightmare out.... (see pics)

Frayedwires.jpg

P1010774.jpg

BTW.... that bolt.... where the three frayed wires are, on hall effect sensor.... if I loosen that bolt, can i pull the sensor (with wires) out of the transfer case.... (no fluids will come out ? )... it would be easier to fix, if I take it out.

Wow your wires are trashed, yea the sensor has an o ring and you may loose some fluid

Thanks for the info on the fluid (that would likely leak out)....

I've fixed the "vent" thing, and with a little heat shrink and two crimp connectors, I've fixed the connector w/ the two wires.....

taking a break and thinking about that speed sensor... ( three wires ) I might try (first) painting some insulation on the bare wires. ---- I picked up a jar of "liquid electrical tape" at WalMart last eve....

---- If i let it "set up", and start to harden, (first) I should be able to brush on some of the stuff. (carefully)... it should keep the wires from shorting together...

After that is done.... I hope to find that the transmission goes into 4WD, in the way it is supposed to.

..... Then..... on to the Brown Wire Mod.

Back