Vacuum leak & high idle

zx6-guy29

Reaction score
City, State
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
Hey everyone,

I posted about this a few days back and I found the problem. Just need to know where I can find the part!! 96 Sport 4.0 OHV 5-speed. There is a vacuum leak where the metal tube that runs from the EGR valve to the upper intake manifold enters the manifold. I sprayed carb cleaner in it, and sure enough, the idle changed. This explains the P0171 & P0174 codes as well as the 1,500 - 2,000 rpm idle. Is there a gasket or grommet or something in there that can be replaced? Or do I need the whole thing? All I can find on the parts websites I have checked is the EGR valve itself and the gasket for it, but nothing related to this pipe. Does anyone know what this part is called, and am I going to have to get it from Ford? As always, thanks for all the help; this site has saved me hours of trouble and many $$$ (or in my case, €€€!!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ME TOO! I have the same exact problem!
DSCF0863.jpg

DSCF0911.jpg

I rtv'd it but i need the gasket.

Me too! BTW, where are all your pics 96XLTRanger? But any one else know about this pipe and it's gasket?

possibly called egr valve to exhaust manifold tube.... pretty good heh... :) part number listed in the truck cd says its 9e469.... but that tube runs from the egr valve to the exhaust not the intake. Perhaps I misunderstand... are you maybe referring to the egr vacuum regulator????

closer look shows an "intake manifold to egr valve tube"... 9e470..... but in the past, I have had trouble trying to "match" ford parts department numbers with those coming from the cd.... good luck.

Having said that, I don't see any gasket listed / shown.

Nope, there's a tube from the exhaust to the EGR valve, then from the EGR valve to the intake. The valve just sits in the middle opening when it needs to direct exhaust gases back to the intake. I got it apart now tho. I hope I can just finagle the intake over that tube the way it needs to be! Thanks again,

heres some more.

Attachments

• DSCF0952.jpg
    DSCF0952.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 449
  • DSCF0954.jpg
    DSCF0954.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 454
  • DSCF1010.jpg
    DSCF1010.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 635
  • DSCF0968.jpg
    DSCF0968.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 458

And I got mine together, the right way! Runs like a charm now! Just gotta get a good tune, and I'll be set!

Back