Vacuum line leaking transmission fluid on tree | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RADIOACTIVE_TOOL_SHED___

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro north Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford explorer xlt
Hey everyone hope all is well I have another question ik for a fact that I have a vacuum leak somewhere on my 1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 I've replaced the IAC valve and purge valve I can hear air escaping when I turn the truck off and it sometimes doesn't wanna start up it idles rough and it revs itself up on its own when cold it idles smoothly but high once completely warmed up this problem has been slowly driving me insane since I got the truck in September lol I noticed the vacuum line for the cruise control is cracked up pretty bad I'm gonna try spraying sopy water on the vacuum lines tomorrow any help would be much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

advice on troubleshooting your vaccum lines was provided in your "What is this vacuum line for? 1993 Ford explorer" thread.
You could try using smoke to find the leak/s, or test each hose segment individually with a vacuum tester ( tedious, but most reliable method to rule out individual potential causes. can break old brittle hard hose though ).
You state that you hear it from within the car. Are you able to get a sense of the general location? Try listening against the passenger wall directly under the glove compartment. The HVAC hard vaccum line comes through there. Another vacuum line also comes through the drivers side to a switch that is mounted above a plastic shelf attached to the brake pedal.
How long does the sound last?

Also, did you replace that bolt&clear tube with an appropriate cap?

advice on troubleshooting your vaccum lines was provided in your "What is this vacuum line for? 1993 Ford explorer" thread.

You state that you hear it from within the car. Are you able to get a sense of the general location? Try listening against the passenger wall directly under the glove compartment. The HVAC hard vaccum line comes through there. Another vacuum line also comes through the drivers side to a switch that is mounted above a plastic shelf attached to the brake pedal.
How long does the sound last?

Also, did you replace that bolt&clear tube with an appropriate cap?
Yes i got a cap I think I might have fixed it there was a unplugged vacuum line close to the battery I hooked it up temporarily and it ran right but It was covered in grease so i washed it off and I'm gonna hook it back up tomorrow thank you man for the help!

New problem there is transmission fluid on a vacuum line on the tree how hard is it to replace the modulator? How do I do it? And can anyone please provide some pictures on the job thank you

There’s a thread on here that will show you how to replace it. Basically you can either pull up the rug on the pass front and there is a little door there in the floor that you can remove for easy access to the modulator.
Or you can replace it under the truck without pulling up the rug.
I did mine a while ago and I chose the under the truck route. The challenge is it’s hard to see and not much room. I used an inspection mirror to see what the heck was going on.
There is a pin behind the modulator- do not lose this pin! You will put the old pin back in with the new modulator.
i also replaced that vacuum line as well, since I was right there anyways.

There’s a thread on here that will show you how to replace it. Basically you can either pull up the rug on the pass front and there is a little door there in the floor that you can remove for easy access to the modulator.
Or you can replace it under the truck without pulling up the rug.
I did mine a while ago and I chose the under the truck route. The challenge is it’s hard to see and not much room. I used an inspection mirror to see what the heck was going on.
There is a pin behind the modulator- do not lose this pin! You will put the old pin back in with the new modulator.
i also replaced that vacuum line as well, since I was right there anyways.
What size socket gose onto the modulator?

To be honest I don’t remember. Want to say 10mm or 13mm maybe?

Back