Vacuum Motor for Panel Vents - 2004 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum Motor for Panel Vents - 2004 Explorer

Joe DeVola

Reaction score
City, State
AtL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Does anyone know where the exact location is of the vacuum motor that directs air to the panel vents?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Joe if you are asking about actuator that selects between air coming through face vents or defrost vents, then if you open glove box door and release sides so glove box opens forward completely, look in there towards your left towards middle of vehicle. You should see a silver metallic actuator with an arm that comes out. With ignition to on position, change your setting between vent and defrost and watch for the arm to move in or out. Plenty of posts in the site about this and how to fix if your arm has broken off the plastic that opens and closes the vent selector.

Joe if you are asking about actuator that selects between air coming through face vents or defrost vents, then if you open glove box door and release sides so glove box opens forward completely, look in there towards your left towards middle of vehicle. You should see a silver metallic actuator with an arm that comes out. With ignition to on position, change your setting between vent and defrost and watch for the arm to move in or out. Plenty of posts in the site about this and how to fix if your arm has broken off the plastic that opens and closes the vent selector.
Thank you for the reply.

I'm getting air out of the panel vents in all modes as if the door from the plenum is stuck open. I've got a schematic diagram of the system and it shows a door actuated by a separate vacuum motor sends air to the panel vents. You say this particular door actuator is next to the glove box, eh?

No it's more between glove box opening and middle of dash

Take out the glove box container and look to the left, up high.
You're gonna have to take the hinge screws out to get the glove box out.

I'm in Florida so I just aimed the flap at dash vents only and ran a screw in the pivot so it can never move again. I still get enough defrost air to be sufficient in Florida.

Back