Vacuum tube lengths and A/C question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum tube lengths and A/C question?

phix-

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey everyone,

I am back at it again with my a/c, its starting to kill me how much I think I know to know I really don't know much. Below are the symptoms.

Truck:
96 4r55e OHV
BlackMagic Fan 180 X-Treme

Symptoms:
- Truck will run fine without A/C
- Once A/C is on, there is notice of added load
- After 20-25min (depending on traffic), there is a rev up at or just before 45mph. This is only if your in the throttle between 2300 and 2600 RPM.
- If you keep the RPM low (below 2,500 barely 2,000) you get this slight rev up as it tries to figure out if its going to lockup the converter or lockup the converter, then unlock and then try jumping to 4th and then lockup again.
- After the A/C is on for 25min and there is some stop and go traffic temperatures reach up 185 TFT (trans fluid temp) and the truck wants to stall.

Possible causes:
Battery? Its a 2-yr old Optima yellow top
Alternator? Just replaced with a 200amp.
Wiring? 4g to the alternator and 0 between ground and battery.
IAC? Replaced w/ motorcraft
TPS? Replaced w/ motorcraft
IAT? Not yet replaced, starting to suspect an issue. As the truck does the same thing when its unplugged. (I forgot to plug it in once)
MAF? Maybe, but I think I would have more problems then just with the A/C on?

As a final thought/request, anyone know how much vacuum tubing you need to redo the entire system? I want to get rid of the crappy ford connectors as I believe there is a vacuum issue lurking.

Wrapped some tape around some of the connection ends thinking it would help. It did for a bit then, it started acting up. Interesting thing was logged.. the LPC (Line Pressure Control?) usually stays around 30 and drops down into the 20's during casual driving. In my case, the LPC reading was anywhere from a 46 up to the 78. This same thing can and sometimes does happen at the 2/3 shift mark where it tries to engage 3rd but then doesn't realizing it needs to build up a tad more. When it does it shifts smooth and continues into lockup just as smooth (w/ ac on). Now, if I am understanding my ATSG I would stand to say I need to address my compressor?

Found out today that I was 2 quarts over in fluid which was causing aeration. Not sure if any damage has been done but a new belt and complete flush has things better. Just not fixed, my next question is since I was over for approx. 6 months. How much damage could have been?

Back