Solved - Vague highway steering | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Vague highway steering

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Dan R

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clara, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ranger 3L RWD
Maybe it's just for the suburbs.
On the highway at 60+,straight ahead, the steering feels like it is disconnected. Lots of play.
The steering has a reconditioned gear box and new links. Only a very marginal improvement. I will be changing the pump because it is so noisy.
What else can be done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the rag joints on the steering shaft?

Power steering just adds assistance to the steering. I would have someone turn the wheel while you look at shaft, steering box and tie rods. Something has to be loose to feel disconnected.

How is it at low speed?

Power steering just adds assistance to the steering. I would have someone turn the wheel while you look at shaft, steering box and tie rods. Something has to be loose to feel disconnected.

How is it at low speed?
Low speed OK I suppose not exactly a go cart. There seems to be a fair bit of play around straight ahead position. The steering wheel has to move 2-3 in in either direction before movement is felt.
Would an alignment help?

Alignment would pull.

That's exactly how much play I had when my tie rods were bad. Felt like I was driving in a movie. Moving the wheel with no response.

Alignment would pull.

That's exactly how much play I had when my tie rods were bad. Felt like I was driving in a movie. Moving the wheel with no response.
What about that adjustment rod on top of the steering box? Would tightening that a quarter turn help? Not sure what you mean by "pull" re. alignment.

It could help but only if it's a loose box and as you said it has a reman steering box.

By pull I'm talking about if you don't hold the wheel does it pull one way or the other.

It could help but only if it's a loose box and as you said it has a reman steering box.

By pull I'm talking about if you don't hold the wheel does it pull one way or the other.
No it does not pull and tire wear is even.
I will put it up on jacks and check for loose fittings

I had loose steering with a good amount of free play before actual steering engagement before, couple inches either way. The splines where the steering intermediate shaft connects to the steering gear box had worn down enough to cause it. This was due to hard off-roading on my part I'm sure, but your reman box could have come that way, could even be my old box! Those splines may not get looked at when they rebuild 'em.

I fixed it today. The half inch nuts on the rag joint were not tight enough. I did replace it last year. Now they are tight.

Glad it worked out.

Thank you. I would not call it a transformation but the truck is now so much more steady on the highway. Just a small tightening.

Thanks for posting your fix. Some simple things get overlooked and things will loosen up over time if they've been replaced without loctite or torqued down good.

Back