Valve body gasket and servo rod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Valve body gasket and servo rod

Reaction score
City, State
FLORIDA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I had transmission slippage in all gears. Replaced the blown out valve body gasket not the spacer plate. I didn't do any repairs to servo. I replaced servo gasket, pan gasket. Everything worked great for about 5 miles then after a brief engine off and start then reverse. I drove about 25 feet and it started slipping second gear then after a few miles it started slipping first gear. Works great over 35 MPH. It was working great with perfect response immediately after replacing the gaskets. I did notice some slight scoring near the top of the servo rod. What about the o rings? Could you tell me if something was wrong with the reverse servo would that cause another gasket blow out?

The reverse servo won't have any part of the slipping in 1st and 2nd, so I wouldn't worry about the o rings or even the scoring on the rod itself.

Was there any debris in the pan when you pulled it down the first time, did the fluid have a burnt odor?

It sounds like you may have a internal pressure leak with the forward drum,maybe its sealing rings or the piston, the clutches may be slipping or have deteriorated.

You could double check your work with the valve body and if all looks good it may be time to pull the transmission out and take it apart.

There was no burn odor in the transmission fluid. But there was a lot of fine granules on the magnet. I will pull the pan and check the valve plate and the brackets that hold the valves in. I will do that as soon as possible but probably not for a couple days yet.

Back