• Register Today It's free!

Valve body gasket question

Deluxe Reverb 1977

Reaction score
City, State
Tama, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
This will be my first time posting here, so thank you in advance for your help. My wife drives a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 6 cylinder. She told me that when she stops at a stop sign on an incline, when she gets ready to drive away the transmission feels like it is not engaged and the vehicle rolls back a little bit...even though she's got her foot on the gas pedal. I did some research and found out that the Explorers had issues with valve body gaskets being bad. I bought a tranny filter and pan gasket from the local Napa store. After looking online, I realized I had to go to a Ford dealership to get the valve body gaskets. I bought a few other things like a pump to refill the transmission and 6 quarts of transmission fluid. Now I find myself at a crossroads because when I looked at the transmission filter and pan gasket from Napa, it's labeled 5R55W and I specifically remember the Ford parts dealership Guy saying that my transmission was a 5R55E. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 5R55W has 16 bolts in the transmission pan which is what I have. I think the dealership sold me the wrong valve body gaskets. The 5R55E has 18 bolts in the pan, I think. Okay, now to my question: will a 5R55E valve body gasket and separator plate fit on a 5R55W valve body? If not, it looks like I will be waiting until Monday to reorder.

If your transmission has a dip stick you have a 5R55E. If no stick it will be a 5R55W/S.
Filters and gaskets will not interchangeable. Good luck.
A mod should probably move to the right section to get more responses.

No it won't fit.

Back