• Register Today It's free!

valve body/shift solenoids

curems

Reaction score
City, State
kingman, az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer sport
Hello: Looking for some information before i tackle my valve body again.
I have a 1996 ford explorer sport xl 2wd. I developed a shifting problem with 3rd & overdrive. I was told it was a shift solenoid, so i decided to just replace the whole valve body that came with new solenoids as a complete package. I put it in and now it won't engage into any gear. Can anyone please tell me what this could be??
I honestly believe i put the valve body in correctly. Could i of receved a bad valve body?
Appreciate any and all responses

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Did you plug in the electrical harness? Did you use a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench with new gaskets? Did you check the fluid level? Did you check the alignment of the manual index valve to see if it's in the proper notch with the shift mechanism?

Yes, welcome.
Seems like I seen this question the other day in another forum. All I could think of is to send them here ;)

I am not sure if the photo is what BB was referring to, but is what was coming to my mind.
Did you check the alignment of the manual index valve to see if it's in the proper notch with the shift mechanism?

attachment.php

Also if you get a chance, I would think about adding a magnetic drain plug.

The pin in the photo with the notch in the manual index valve is what I had in mind. I have a thread on adding a magnetic drain plug. Check my list of useful threads or the sticky threads in the transmission section for the link.

Back