• Register Today It's free!

Valve cover gasket

xlr82x

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XL
Does any one know if its possible to replace the valve cover gaskets without draining the coolant. All directions I have found suggest that I have to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was able to change it with out drain ALL the coolant, just what came out of the upper rad hose when I removed it... Mine is a 99 4.0L OHV

Drain the coolant to change valve cover gaskets?

Does any one know if its possible to replace the valve cover gaskets without draining the coolant. All directions I have found suggest that I have to do it.

I could see that to change the lower intake gaskets...But there is nothing in the cooling system to remove to change the valve cover gaskets...You will need to remove the upper plenum to get to the drivers side valve cover but it is dry...No coolant running through it..

If the upper hose is in the way, I just move it up or down to accomodate the valve cover...

I guess that is the wierd thing at this point. I have the instructions to remove the Intake manifold since I am replacing the gaskets tonight and it doesn't mention anything about having to drain the cooling system. But when I look in my chiltons book, it states that inorder to remove the valve cover for the passenger side, i will have to removed the altenator and the upper radiator hose. I want to minimize the items that I have remove because i don't want to be in my garage in this freezing weather long than I have to be.

I am open for suggestions or ideas that have worked with others that have performed this. I will also continue to search the forum and post anything that I find for future reference. Thanks for all of the help.

I guess that is the wierd thing at this point. I have the instructions to remove the Intake manifold since I am replacing the gaskets tonight and it doesn't mention anything about having to drain the cooling system. But when I look in my chiltons book, it states that inorder to remove the valve cover for the passenger side, i will have to removed the altenator and the upper radiator hose. I want to minimize the items that I have remove because i don't want to be in my garage in this freezing weather long than I have to be.

I am open for suggestions or ideas that have worked with others that have performed this. I will also continue to search the forum and post anything that I find for future reference. Thanks for all of the help.

I believe that upper radiator hose could be in the way but I wouldn't say you can't just push it out of the way temporarily. I'm not sure. But I do feel like the heater core hoses could get in the way. not sure..

4.0 sohc?

If it is a 4.0 SOHC, you will have to remove a lot of stuff in order to remove the passenger side valve cover. I did not have to remove the alternator. I did remove:

large hose from air filter
coolant/washer reservoir
AC/blower unit
speed control
plug wires
heater hoses
EVAP solenoid
assorted lines & hoses

Please note I did not remove the plenum...maybe I should have done that instead.

Thank you very much for the above info you posted. Been searching for awhile on the subject. Will add them to my ready notes. :usa:

EDIT:

Now they will come in handy for these OEM Valve Cover Gasket Set that I will fit in.

Have you finished this job yet? I am also considering replacing my drivers side valve cover gaskets. Are there any other gaskets that need to be replaced to do this? Did you have to remove the EGR tube to the exhaust manifold? Was maybe considering replacing all the injectors too thinking it might resolve my poor fuel economy, but not sure if it is worth doing when I am throwing no codes at all.

i did this job about 6 months ago on my 97 explorer, 4.0 ohv, but after taking out all the necessary parts, i found that maybe i needed only retightening the bolts of the passenger side valve cover. i replaced the gaskets anyway, but it could be unnecessary hassle. i recommend you to check on those bolts first before you try to replace the gasket.

I thought I would try to tighten them up, & now I can see that it has pushed the gasket out, & split on each side of at least 2 bolts on the valve cover. Leaking on the rear side of the engine.

Back