Valve cover gasket

john cris

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeport, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer XLT
Hey
Been trying to figure a vacuum leak on my 4.0 sohc 2003 xlt and have found leaking valve cover gaskets. I’m thinking of replacing them as well as the intake gaskets. How likely will the covers and intake parts need to be replaced? They are original and getting them apart may create damage. I’m going to pressure wash the motor first, then spray each bolt with PB blaster a couple days in advance. Looks like a lot of stuff to remove but looks doable. Removing all this will also give me a better look at everything. Any pitfalls I should be aware of?
Thanks guys,
Stay safe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used this video to do mine. The guy does a nice job explaining it all and showing step by step.

I used this video to do mine. The guy does a nice job explaining it all and showing step by step.

Hey thanks,
I just watched that same video. It’s my exact vehicle which really helps. What brand of gaskets did you end up using? Any issues you run into?

Hey thanks,
I just watched that same video. It’s my exact vehicle which really helps. What brand of gaskets did you end up using? Any issues you run into?

I used Fel Pro for both intake and valve covers.

Hey
Been trying to figure a vacuum leak on my 4.0 sohc 2003 xlt and have found leaking valve cover gaskets. I’m thinking of replacing them as well as the intake gaskets. How likely will the covers and intake parts need to be replaced? They are original and getting them apart may create damage. I’m going to pressure wash the motor first, then spray each bolt with PB blaster a couple days in advance. Looks like a lot of stuff to remove but looks doable. Removing all this will also give me a better look at everything. Any pitfalls I should be aware of?
Thanks guys,
Stay safe.
The drivers side valve cover has the pvc valve and hose at the rear. Easy to strip and only has a oring. It's just not tight enough. Common leaky connection onto exhaust manifold. It's really hard to seal after the cover is back on. Give it special attention, maybe extra rtv around the outside and install the cover with the hose on so you don't have disturb afterwards. Mine leaked after I was finished. Spray PB on the lower exhaust connection, I went thru the wheel well to loosen mine. I put rtv all around the seams of the intake while I had it off. Good luck, gary ds

Hey
Thanks guys,
Stay safe.
I did my 2002 4.0 recently to stop oil from leaking. It took a number of hours, but nothing broke and it went together well. Just keep track of all the hose connections and make use of YouTube...

All good tips
Thanks
Hope this website stays up and running. Was down for quite awhile

Back