Valve Cover Gaskets? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Valve Cover Gaskets?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hey everyone. I'm going to try and change my valve cover gaskets this weekend and I have a few questions on the procedure. My Haynes manual says that you need to remove the upper intake manifold to get the valve cover off for 99 and later models. Is this really necessary? It also says to push the A/C compressor forward as well as remove the several hoses in the way, but it only says that for Explorers up to the 98 year. So what exactly am I gonna have to remove? It looks pretty straight forward and I'll have a torque wrench to tighten everything to specifications. Any insight would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, the upper has to come off. The valve covers have to go straight up about 2.5" before they can move sideways in any direction.

I'm guessing there's a gasket under the air intake too? I really wanted to avoid messing with any vacuum since I don't have a CEL at the moment lol, but I guess I gotta remove it then.

Ok, that makes it easier. Any recommendations on gasket types? I was thinking permadry instead of cork.

Ok. Well thanks for the help :thumbsup:

I would recommend doing a whole gasket replacement including lower intake. I did the fuel rail, upper intake and valve covers just to have the lower intake gasket fail three days later and dump half my coolant into my oil. It isn't that much more work or $$$ and will save you in the long run. On both engines I noticed extreme deterioration of the gasket around the coolant passages. Just take your time and it all goes back together rather easy. Be careful when re-torquing those bolts as well. I would suggest doing it in steps if you use a torque wrench. Have fun and good luck

Update

So I was reading a few posts on here and discovered that sometimes the valve cover bolts are just loose. Sure enough, mine were so loose I could move them by hand! :D Well I torqued them down and I'll give it a week or two to see if any more oil comes out. It's weird as only the bottom bolts had oil around them. I didn't remove the intake this time. Hopefully this stops the leaking, if not then I'll take everything apart next weekend.

Back