Valve cover (PCV hole) Stripped...What to do!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Valve cover (PCV hole) Stripped...What to do!?

slbeck1

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 OHV Sport & 2003 xlt
My 2003 4.0 PCV is allowing oil to blow by. It wiggles easily when fully inserted into the valve cover. These PCV valves ARE threaded and are Motorcraft brand. The valve cover should have a male style thread to allow the PCV valve to positively screw into place and lock tight.

I feel inside the opening of the valve cover and it is smooth...the threads are broken or chafed off! No matter what I do with the PCV valve, I get blow by and oil leaks down onto my exhaust manifold..UGH!!

Any one run up against this issue??

Perhaps a grommet and any old regular PCV that fits, or use silicone?!!?

Who has a solution that has worked?

After dealing with the exact problem(pcv leaking and wiggle), I finally disconnected the hose that connects to the pcv and the other end from the intake manifold and could work with a little more room with the pcv and valve cover.

I found that after the pcv initially seats and you think it is all the way in, it does rock and wiggle, so...I kept turning the pcv and it did snug down and sit firmly. It is about 1/8 more turn after it contacts the valve cover.

Hope this helps.

It should stop the oil blow by.....I hope.

I degreased everything an used some good silicone to make a seal. I have been running leak free for over two years...Gosh, it maybe near time to change the PCV valve again..LOL!!! Thanks for your reply.

Well the snug pcv started to leak oil again from the back of the valve cover, so I am going your route and putting a bead of RTV around the base of the pcv.

Hopefully, that will do the trick.

Back