• Register Today It's free!

Vandalized Explorer - Cont

Zackie

Reaction score
City, State
Flat Rock, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 SporTrac
So uh, Its been about a week since my explorer was pretty much totaled, And me and my parents decided for me to buy another car AND fix Jack (My 01 Sport), I already got the harness ended that were destroyed (including the one going to the ecm, Which I have now repaired and it starts, Does not drive yet) and I wanted to ask, anything that anyone would recommend replacing while i'm taking on fixing my explorer? I've heard the (can't think of what's it called at the moment the piece where the Upper radiator hose goes into are known for failing, i'll search it up) other then that, Anything anyone can think of?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So uh, Its been about a week since my explorer was pretty much totaled, And me and my parents decided for me to buy another car AND fix Jack (My 01 Sport), I already got the harness ended that were destroyed (including the one going to the ecm, Which I have now repaired and it starts, Does not drive yet) and I wanted to ask, anything that anyone would recommend replacing while i'm taking on fixing my explorer? I've heard the (can't think of what's it called at the moment the piece where the Upper radiator hose goes into are known for failing, i'll search it up) other then that, Anything anyone can think of?
t stat housing

Check all of your fluid levels and reservoirs/tanks for tampering or damage. People like to puncture gas tanks and saw off catalytic converters... but the latter of these wouldn't go unnoticed!

The car they get you should be a ever so slightly lowered stock Explorer ;) They're not THAT bad on gas when they're stock.
Can't believe someone got you like that.. That's so messed up.
The wiring isn't gonna be the worst thing ever, they didn't rip the ends off it looked like in the posts.
Make sure you're soldering, heat shrinking, and possibly even doing the 'silicone trick' when you connect these wires back together. Or whoever's doing it. You solder with the heatshrink on the wires you're joining, then before you heat-shrink the heatshrink, you dab some silicone (RTV probably would work I'd imagine,) and heatshrink it over the silicone to squeeze it out so it makes a weather proof seal. Never had a problem with it and many people can attest it is valid and safe!! Last thing you need is electrical ghosts because there's weird interference happening on the repaired wires. Not worth the headache
Anything someone can quickly slash can definitely be replaced! I really hope it gets sorted out quickly because it's a damn shame. I'd probably just die if someone did that to me.

Edit: you know, upon giving it some thought.. It may be easier to buy a parts 01 sport than it would be to source all of the parts individually for $$$ reasons. Depends on what your insurance company is having you do etc etc. Dunno can't really say much since I don't know a lot about your situation, but yeah, whatever you do, I hope it is easy and not a horrible experience upon another horrible experience. Nobody deserves that kind of thing on them

Check all of your fluid levels and reservoirs/tanks for tampering or damage. People like to puncture gas tanks and saw off catalytic converters... but the latter of these wouldn't go unnoticed!
Speaking of that, need to replace the Washer fluid reservoir, was leaking before this happened

If you use silicone to seal inside your heat shrink, make sure it is NEUTRAL CURE. Non-neutral cure releases acetic acid as it cures, which is harmful to the metal wiring.

If you use silicone to seal inside your heat shrink, make sure it is NEUTRAL CURE. Non-neutral cure releases acetic acid as it cures, which is harmful to the metal wiring.
Using solder 👍

The car they get you should be a ever so slightly lowered stock Explorer ;) They're not THAT bad on gas when they're stock.
Can't believe someone got you like that.. That's so messed up.
The wiring isn't gonna be the worst thing ever, they didn't rip the ends off it looked like in the posts.
Make sure you're soldering, heat shrinking, and possibly even doing the 'silicone trick' when you connect these wires back together. Or whoever's doing it. You solder with the heatshrink on the wires you're joining, then before you heat-shrink the heatshrink, you dab some silicone (RTV probably would work I'd imagine,) and heatshrink it over the silicone to squeeze it out so it makes a weather proof seal. Never had a problem with it and many people can attest it is valid and safe!! Last thing you need is electrical ghosts because there's weird interference happening on the repaired wires. Not worth the headache
Anything someone can quickly slash can definitely be replaced! I really hope it gets sorted out quickly because it's a damn shame. I'd probably just die if someone did that to me.

Edit: you know, upon giving it some thought.. It may be easier to buy a parts 01 sport than it would be to source all of the parts individually for $$$ reasons. Depends on what your insurance company is having you do etc etc. Dunno can't really say much since I don't know a lot about your situation, but yeah, whatever you do, I hope it is easy and not a horrible experience upon another horrible experience. Nobody deserves that kind of thing on them
Finally my phone doesn’t glitch out replying to this one, im using marine butt connectors, the ones that are made for wiring that’ll be used in a water type situation I use them on everything, It comes with the silicone and wsolder in them just gotta head them up once the wires are spliced back together (photo below of one, too small for these wires, though, I do have bigger ones that will work)

06D8BC5E-1E47-48AB-A018-267CDA79CA0F.jpeg

Back