Vanity Mirror Covers Won't Stay Open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vanity Mirror Covers Won't Stay Open

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
Hi everyone, does anybody know anything about the vanity mirror covers and what to replace in order to make them usable without having to hold it up with your hand? Thanks everyone, hope all are well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I bought my '05 last year, the sun visors were trashed and broken (I think one was completely missing) The lids seemed to work okay though. I'm not sure if the lids are serviceable. You may have to replace both of the visor assemblies. You can find them on ebay or junk yards. Keep the hardware on the old ones if you do this, as the mounting pieces often crack/break apart.

You're welcome but watch out with the wires back there. If you short it out, the fuse also connects to the radio and made a really quiet ride home.

I think I have the covers fixed for the time being. Whilst swapping out the visor brackets with the DORMAN upgraded parts, I struggled quite a bit getting the lenses off the mirror lights, but once I conquered that I pulled the mirror units out. What I found was just some issues with the metal spring tabs for the covers. One side I simply removed the clips with a mini screwdriver, and reshaped the tabs with pliers. On the other side the clips were laying loose behind the mirror so I reshaped them slightly (~2°) and reinstalled them. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back