Vehicle unstable after recall work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vehicle unstable after recall work

tvarghese

Reaction score
City, State
Pewaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
I just got some recall work done yesterday and drove home on slower roads, but this morning got on the highway and the vehicle felt like it was unstable.
I believe they replaced the rear springs and toe-links. I looked under the vehicle and didn't notice anything lose. Wondering what else it could be. They are not open till Tuesday so I'm not able to use the vehicle till then. Is this something I can fix myself easily? Or simply not worth taking a chance?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the response. I'm assuming the dealer should have done the alignment when the replaced the parts. May be they didn't?
Will I have to pay for it if they haven't done it already? In which case I can take it somewhere else today and get it done.

If the rear toe recall is what was done....rear wheel alignment is supposed to be part of the service. I'd go back to the dealer...

I just got some recall work done yesterday and drove home on slower roads, but this morning got on the highway and the vehicle felt like it was unstable.
I believe they replaced the rear springs and toe-links. I looked under the vehicle and didn't notice anything lose. Wondering what else it could be. They are not open till Tuesday so I'm not able to use the vehicle till then. Is this something I can fix myself easily? Or simply not worth taking a chance?
Your invoice should list what was done to the vehicle. If it was just the recall, then as mentioned, an alignment should have been done as part of it.

Peter

Thanks for your response. They did claim to have done the rear alignment.

Now they are thinking that the front was out of alignment all along and it is behaving badly because of that now that the rear is aligned correctly.

Does this sound right?

That is what I thought too.

Never heard of front and rear being aligned to each other. I always thought each wheel was more or less aligned on their own.

When I had the recall performed on my retail 2017 Platinum, they did a 4 wheel alignment afterwards at no charge.

Peter

When I had the recall performed on my retail 2017 Platinum, they did a 4 wheel alignment afterwards at no charge.

Peter
I thought every alignment was a four-wheel alignment for vehicles equipped with independent front and rear suspensions. Ask for a printout of the alignment before and after. They should be able to provide that.

Thanks for the response. I'm assuming the dealer should have done the alignment when the replaced the parts. May be they didn't?
Will I have to pay for it if they haven't done it already? In which case I can take it somewhere else today and get it done.
Geez, what dealership is that? Not doing right by you.

When I had my recall done, the tech recommended paying extra ($70) to have all four wheels aligned, rather than just the rears (what was covered by Ford). I paid the extra money, as I have fairly new tires and didn't want to risk ruining them with a poor alignment.

How was it unstable? I had the toe link recall done too back in July 2022 and about a month afterwards my car feels like it's swaying easier when only traveling at higher speeds. They did do an alignment at the and charged me for it - which I wasn't happy about. I felt like that should have been included as part of the recall process.

How was it unstable? I had the toe link recall done too back in July 2022 and about a month afterwards my car feels like it's swaying easier when only traveling at higher speeds. They did do an alignment at the and charged me for it - which I wasn't happy about. I felt like that should have been included as part of the recall process.
The alignment, if required, is covered as per the recall.

Peter

My dealer did the same thing. Said they did a rear alignment but it was obvious it wasn’t.

I'm guessing you meant to say the alignment wasn't done. My dealer provides a printout of my alignment specs every time I go in for routine service and especially after doing an alignment. Did you not get a printout of yours?

Peter

Back