• Register Today It's free!

Vendors, we need rear wheel bias

ibmike

Reaction score
City, State
Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer sport
Vendors, theres got to be some way to Tune the wheel bias control, all of us want to have some kinda rear wheel bias control so figure it out and make some cash.
PS you shoulda already been on this long ago, what the Hell?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Second this.... But I'll be nice and add PLEASE! :)

So you want a new transmission eh?

You can't do it the PTU unit won't do over 50% bias, let's of discussions about this on my forum and technical data on it.

You can't do it the PTU unit won't do over 50% bias, let's of discussions about this on my forum and technical data on it.

One can dream.....

Honestly, I'd be happy if the whole thing just didn't feel like it was going to explode from the 1-2 shift. Any updates on those Megan coilovers? ;)

One can dream.....

Honestly, I'd be happy if the whole thing just didn't feel like it was going to explode from the 1-2 shift. Any updates on those Megan coilovers? ;)

2-3 weeks out still from last update. Trust me I want to sell lots and lots of these to you guys! :p

Is there any consensus about negative consequences of shifting it to 50% permanently? Is this possible from a tuning standpoint? Do you know what the applied bias is when in sand mode?

Yes overheating and permanent damage.

Vendors, theres got to be some way to Tune the wheel bias control, all of us want to have some kinda rear wheel bias control so figure it out and make some cash.
PS you shoulda already been on this long ago, what the Hell?
I think that is a bit of an over generalization. I'm not looking for it and it's the first time it has been brought up and the Sport is starting its 3rd year of production! ;)

Peter

I think that is a bit of an over generalization. I'm not looking for it and it's the first time it has been brought up and the Sport is starting its 3rd year of production! ;)

Not the first time it has been brought up, maybe the first time there is a dedicated thread, but the desire and discussion about shifting bias to the rear has been going on since the Sport was released.

Not the first time it has been brought up, maybe the first time there is a dedicated thread, but the desire and discussion about shifting bias to the rear has been going on since the Sport was released.
Yes, you are correct. I think I misunderstood the post. I do know that even with the Limited in Normal mode that when you 'gun it' the AWD diagram show most of the bias shifted to the rear wheels. If I recall correctly I think mine showed 1 bar on the fronts and 3 bars on the rears before settling down again.
In any case. I'm more than happy with the way it works.

Peter

My guess is it is not just programmed, but has more to do with the hardware/components in the differentials. My Audi's, which arguably have one of the more complex AWD systems, are almost all hardware limited in the amount of bias they can send to the rear. My 2002 S4 has an upgraded differential that allows up to 6:1 to go to the rear versus the stock 2:1. My 2012 is limited to something like 4:1 by the center differential.

The only way to push more than 50% to the rear is to brake the front wheels which is how many AWD systems work now like in the the Fusion. They call it torque vectoring and it is hard on brake components but cheaper to manufacture as they can use any run of the mill open diff or PTO system and just adjust the software in the ABS to the needs of the application.

My guess is it is not just programmed, but has more to do with the hardware/components in the differentials. My Audi's, which arguably have one of the more complex AWD systems, are almost all hardware limited in the amount of bias they can send to the rear. My 2002 S4 has an upgraded differential that allows up to 6:1 to go to the rear versus the stock 2:1. My 2012 is limited to something like 4:1 by the center differential.

I thought the audi's center diff was all set by the gear ratio's and not variable short of changing out the gears. I think my A4 is a 40/60 F/R split.

I thought the audi's center diff was all set by the gear ratio's and not variable short of changing out the gears. I think my A4 is a 40/60 F/R split.

It's basically a torsen and you can change the native bias by modifying it.

Back