vent lines are important | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

vent lines are important

A while back in mid Fall, AlaskanJack and I did a little wheeling up at Jims Creek near Knick Glacier. While going down the trail to the 4wheeling, I remembered I didn't ever put a vent line on my front diff. Of corse I realized this after going through some puddles that were over my hubs! AlaskaJack suggested we use the rear wiper vent hose and press on. We did!

This is one of the pics from our trip.
5858Dune_Chris_Rear.jpg

A bout a month ago I had some manual hubs installed, from then I started noticing a rattling noise when in 4wheel drive. Over the past few weeks it grew louder and louder. Finally decided to take a look and see. Sure enough my yoke seemed a bit loose. Tightening didn't help so I bought replacement pinion bearings and tore it apart.

This is what came out of the diff! It used to be Royal Purple.

5858IM000142.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At least we had a little fun that day.
5858Flex_2.jpg

Here is Chris's pinion pic I had to resize it for him

Attachments

• im000149.jpg
    im000149.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 445

From the pic, you can see how the pinion came forward and the ring gear rubbed the shim. I'm gonna replace both bearings. Luckily, the ring and carrier bearings are O.K.

I was talking to my mechanic yesterday, he said that royal purple, and all synthetic gear oil was way overrated. He also said that he sees way more bearing failures in differentials with synthetic gear oil, and does not recommend it. Of coarse he did not recommend running water in the pumpkin either.

Originally posted by unclemeat
I was talking to my mechanic yesterday, he said that royal purple, and all synthetic gear oil was way overrated. He also said that he sees way more bearing failures in differentials with synthetic gear oil, and does not recommend it. Of coarse he did not recommend running water in the pumpkin either.

You are absolutly right! Water in the diff SUCKS!!

i know this may seem dumb..but why is water so bad?? i thought water and oil wouldnt mix so the water would just sit on top of the diff oil??? i just dont understand :( i know im slow lol

Did you see the above pictures. The oil that looked like choclate milk. That is bad because when the oil and water mix the oil is emulsified, or turns into very small globuls. The oil looses its ability to lubricate and transfer heat. The gears and bearings then contact each other with metal to metal contact, and no oil film. More heat is produced, the gears may chip , shave or break.

I actually had to grind and chisel the pinion bearing race off. When I went to press it off, it busted the bearings off from the race.

Also water in there can eventually cause rust.

I checked all of my tolerances and everything is good. Luckily my carrier bearings are good!

There is nothing wrong with synthetcis such as Royal Purple or Mobil Synth Gear lube, but they are more expensive and in differentials the standard 80W-90 works great, so its just a matter of taste and wallet.
I prefer the mobil synth in the front diff since the lube only gets changed every couple of years or so (most trucks never) and regular Castrol 80W in the rear...

My wifes Durango (2002) shows the diff being changed every 12,000. That's gonna add up!!

Originally posted by nak4af
My wifes Durango (2002) shows the diff being changed every 12,000. That's gonna add up!!

Holy bejeezus! I've never heard of a diff being changed that often. Makes you wonder why? :hammer:

Yeah I know! They have two different schedules...Schedule A and schedule B. Schedule B is what we use due to towing our camper. Schedule A is for normal driving such as to work, grocerystore, home

Back