• Register Today It's free!

Vent Visor in-channel

Kidd7

Reaction score
City, State
RTP, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X AWD EB 5L
2001 4 door Ex. No one makes the outside mount vent visors any more, all I can find are inchannel. I've never installed in channel. Where do they mount? Is it in between the rubber molding and the door? So you have to pull the weather stripping off? It's not in the window slot, correct?
Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One I seen in a junkyard was in the window slot...

I have the in-channel vent visors on all my Explorers. They mount on the outside side of the window channel using 3M mounting tape. I don't know that there were ever outside mount vent visors for the Gen II Explorer.

The in-channel visors are easy to install, but you must use alcohol to thoroughly clean the area where the 3M tape mounts. If you see a visor coming loose it is possible to remove it, remove the old 3M tape and replace it. This has occurred on my daughter's '00 Mountaineer, but none of my other trucks. Perhaps I didn't clean the window channel well enough... ? It's easy to replace the tape, but it's rather expensive ($8 for a small roll).

Tip: After installing the visors, put your window up and leave them up for 24 hours to make sure the tape is firmly affixed.

BTW - The brand name "AVS Auto Vent Visors" are good quality, but expensive. I've found much cheaper brands on eBay which work just as well and look almost identical for $22. Main difference is the less expensive ones don't have the little rib along their edge. The cheaper ones mount in the same manner using the same 3M tape.

I used these & it made my windows get stuck several times. Took them off.

I used these & it made my windows get stuck several times. Took them off.

I've used them 2 Mountaineers, 3-dr Explorers and a Sport Trac. I Never had any problems with window interference.

I have them on the rear windows on both Sport Tracs, and the only one that's a problem is the one that's cracked, and that has nothing to do with the window channel. It sometimes gets in the way and the window catches it on the way up. I bought mine at the salvage yard for $2 A SET, including the fronts. It didn't matter if I bought 1 or 4, I got charged $2. I just carefully slid a thin screwdriver between the visor and the channel to separate them. Just don't do it in the winter!

BTW - The brand name "AVS Auto Vent Visors" are good quality, but expensive. I've found much cheaper brands on eBay which work just as well and look almost identical for $22. Main difference is the less expensive ones don't have the little rib along their edge. The cheaper ones mount in the same manner using the same 3M tape.

I think I have, or have seen in the salvage yard, variations of the AVS brand, with and without the ridge, all with the same part #.

I have them on the rear windows on both Sport Tracs, and the only one that's a problem is the one that's cracked, and that has nothing to do with the window channel. It sometimes gets in the way and the window catches it on the way up. I bought mine at the salvage yard for $2 A SET, including the fronts. It didn't matter if I bought 1 or 4, I got charged $2. I just carefully slid a thin screwdriver between the visor and the channel to separate them. Just don't do it in the winter!

I think I have, or have seen in the salvage yard, variations of the AVS brand, with and without the ridge, all with the same part #.

Considering what that 3M mounting tape costs to re-install used ones, you're better off with a set of new $22 visors, because you'd need at least $16 worth of tape to do all 4 visors, maybe more as the front ones require a lot of tape.

My rear ones on my ST don't snag on my window glass. I think a lot of it has to do with how well you clean the channel rubber pre-installation. I now clean the heck out of the channels with alcohol and a towel before installing the visors and it seems to make a difference. That old rubber needs a lot of cleaning.

You're probably right, if I had installed the front ones too, but I only put them on my rear windows. I find the front ones to be a distraction, just like opening the sun roof is a distraction to me. I just bought 2 rolls of 1/2 ×60" (?) of 3M tape for $5 something a roll to reattach the side moulding on the rear door of my ST. When I installed the visors I cut the 1/2" 3M tape to 1/4", which is the width needed, because I couldn't find any narrower. It's a pain to do, but obviously cut the cost.

The visor that catches on my window is cracked along the edge, and sometimes it sags in just enough to catch and stop the window. I could/should change it since I have extras, but it's not a big deal and I'm lazy.

You're probably right, if I had installed the front ones too, but I only put them on my rear windows. I find the front ones to be a distraction, just like opening the sun roof is a distraction to me. I just bought 2 rolls of 1/2 ×60" (?) of 3M tape for $5 something a roll to reattach the side moulding on the rear door of my ST. When I installed the visors I cut the 1/2" 3M tape to 1/4", which is the width needed, because I couldn't find any narrower. It's a pain to do, but obviously cut the cost.

The visor that catches on my window is cracked along the edge, and sometimes it sags in just enough to catch and stop the window. I could/should change it since I have extras, but it's not a big deal and I'm lazy.

I install the 1/2" 3M tape, which was the only width I could find, on the visor and then cut it was a pair of scissors (not too hard to do and the cut edge doesn't show, so it doesn't have to look pretty). I don't find the front ones a distraction, but I can see how some might. I know what you mean about sun roofs. I've owned 3 or 4 cars over the years than had sun roofs and never opened them. The only Gen II Expl/Monty we had that had a sun roof was my elder daughter's '00 AWD Mountaineer (only because she insisted on it). Of course it leaked.

I'd like to find a visor for the rear window on my ST. I've seen them on eBay, but they're pricey ($69 I think). If I had one of those I could leave the rear window in the vent position all the time, even when it's raining.

Yeah, I'd love to have the rear window visors on both trucks, but having toppers on both of them kinda makes it irrelevant now. I bought one for $20 (?) a few years ago. Seller put it in a box with no padding or cushioning at all. Nothing but the visor. Needless to say, it was in many pieces when it got here. At least he refunded my money.

idk, maybe the humid SFL weather in my case.

Back