• Register Today It's free!

VERY DISAPOINTED AT MY EX !!!!!!

daniel cauchon

Reaction score
City, State
Terrebonne,Province of Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Limited
Hey you guys ! I need some advise here....I have a 95 Limited A1 that I bought a few months ago...and today fot the first time I had a chance to try it off road ....I m so disapointed at it ! I got stuck !! can you imagine stuck with only 1 wheel in the sand !! no matter if I was in 4lo or 4 auto I had only 1 wheel spinning ???? !!! I could have done the same with my Hundai Elantra !!! how come ? I don`t understand each time I put it in 4low I could here the tranfer case do his job...but only one wheel was spinning !! and before that I was trying to climb a small sand hill...but only both of my back wheels were spinning...could it be that I forgot to take off my Over Drive ? or that I had to put in 1st gear ? please help me !!!! Is it possible since it`s shift button that my 4 wheel don`t lock all togehter ???

thank`s for you advise.. I`m thinking of putting it on lift to see if my 4 wheels a turning when I shift it...but I`m sure it was shifting because when I put in drive it was pulling alot more than only on 2 w/d.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok first tip on 95-96 4x4 system. Don't even try 4-auto, it's useless.

Now, did you engage 4-lo like you were supposed to? Complete stop, tranny in neutral, foot on brake, then turn knob?

It sounds like the t-case was not working properly. Either the shift motor is stuck (do a search on how to fix it) or there is something broken inside the t-case.

I Know the shift was done because each time I tried it I could ear the transfer case shifting...and I did all the same you say ...neutral.foot on brake then turn knob and then I could ear the transfer case...but only still only one wheel was spinning. The thing that make me sh...t is that I was stuck with almost no reason to be stuck...! anyway anybody as other ideas please let me know and thank`s for you advise MRBOYLE & JASON.

opps this was a double post

A bad auto hub would do the same thing wouldn't it? The shaft would spin on the bad hub and not engage the other side. Does that make any sense? When you put it on a lift don't spin the back tires before locking it in 4wd;)

Ok that sounds an viable option.. but when I tried to climb a hill both of my back wheel were spinning..and the other time I got stuck only one of them was spinning..?????????

It is my understanding that 95+ don't have Autohubs like the 91-94s, but rather Pulse Vaccuum Hubs (PVH) hubs or a "live axleshaft" setup. It is my understanding that the PVHs don't usually go bad, especially on stock vehicles. I'd look into that.

However, most four wheel drive systems have what are called "open differentials." When one side of the axle stops moving (aka stuck) it differentiates all power to the other side. So in a 4wd vehicle with open diffs and 4wd engaged, when you get stuck, only one front and one rear tire will spin.

In the rear it sounds like you have a Limited Slip differential. It is an upgrade from an open differential. When one tire loses traction it doesn't divert all the power to the other side, so both tires will still spin. It does "slip" though as it usually uses friction discs and they can wear out. So when you are really stuck, it may act as an open differential.

I would make sure that your frontend is working properly. Put the vehicle up on jackstands and engage 4wd. Make sure the front driveshaft spins, the CV shafts spin, and then the wheels spin. Have a friend hold one of the front wheels while you spin the other and watch the CV shafts. If you have PVH hubs, you may have blown one.

You prob. have a limited slip which makes both wheels spin some of the time. Your truck isn't 4 wheel drive all at once. Unless you get a locker in the back. even then only one front would spin most of the time. Check the sticker in the drivers door. Then do a search for axle codes. The only one I remember off hand is D4. That is 3.73 limited slip.

ok you whats a PVH ??? MANUAL ONE ? that I have to engage by turning the hub ?
Ok Mbrooks, if what you`re saying is right I`m scared to go off road cause that means that its realy not better than a car ??

ok now I know whats a PVH were and I can check this ? were is it situated under truck ? hood ?

any reply ?

Yeah, I feel your pain. I got stuck in the snow once with two tire in a 6-10" ditch. Only the front right and left rear were spinning in 4lo. But, remember your truck is stock? Don't expect it to be like some of the trucks on this board. I'm sure if I had lockers I might have been able to get out.

Brian

On the 95+ T-case, the front driveshaft is engaged with an electric clutch. The shift motor has nothing to do with 2 or 4 wheel drive, only Hi or Lo, unlike the 91-94 t-case.

You need to get your truck off the ground and figure out if you front driveshaft turns while in 4-lo. If it does, its most likely the PVH. Its located on the passenger side of the front axle housing. Easily accessible from underneath the vehicle. If you front driveshaft is not spinning, then it is most likely your t-case clutch is not working properly.

ok Jefe....all this stuff is expensive to fix ?

A fully capable 4x4 is expensive. You can't expect yours to be unstoppable just cause it's a 4 wheel drive. You need good tires and some kind of traction device and/or a lift for more ground clearance. Its better than a car :D

OK thank`s Mbrooks, BUT I mean fixing the PVH ?

Anyone as a clue of how much in $$ and time to fix the PVH ??

Dunno how much time or money is involved, but ya could go get yerself a Haynes manual for yer truck at the auto parts store, read that, also, you can continue to ask the "anyone know" question, but sometimes it'll take a few hours until someone knowing how to take care of the problem comes across the post
Patience is the key
Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok pulse vacuum hubs is what 98-99 rangers have. Explorers don't have that. 97-01 explorers have a "live setup" with nothing disconnecting the driveshaft from the front wheels. However, the 95-96 explorers have a vacuum actuated front differential.

Listen to Jefe, he speaks the truth :D

Back