Very Easy question about rotating tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Very Easy question about rotating tires?

dsfii93sport

Reaction score
City, State
Indy, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
HAHA sounds rediculous, but how do you rotate tires front to rear on the 93 4x4? Do you have to have the tires swapped on the rims,, or can you move the center hub part from rim to rim??

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The center hub is attached to the axle. When you take the from wheels of, the hub stays put!
If you have directional rims, you'll want to keep the same rims on the same sides, so that you don't have one wheel spinning opposite the other on the same side...no performance problem, just looks silly!

i always rotate front to rear. this sounds cornt but my dad told me a long time ago when you cross rotate you have a chance of shredding belts, due to the fact the tires are worn in a certian direction. making them wear in an opposite direction CAN cause them to strip the belt off. It made sense so i have stuck with it.

Pheonixx77 said:
i always rotate front to rear. this sounds cornt but my dad told me a long time ago when you cross rotate you have a chance of shredding belts, due to the fact the tires are worn in a certian direction. making them wear in an opposite direction CAN cause them to strip the belt off. It made sense so i have stuck with it.
You're Dad's a smart fella. You wouldn't swap your shoes from one foot to the other would you, you'd walk kinda' funny right? ;)

Pheonixx77 said:

this is not 100% true, it used to be with the older technology used in tires, however now, it is fine to cross rotate due to advanced technology

new technology or not, it's still a risk i would not take...when i spend over
100$ a tire...

Eiks my question wasnt answered,, Or I didnt catch it there at least :|.

Ok,, lets break it down. I want to move my left front wheel to the left rear,, right? Okay, but............. My left front wheel has this 4x4 cap on the rim w/ grease and components in it that seems to be connected to this rim. The back wheel however doesnt have a 4x4 cap on the rim, so my question is... How do i swap the wheels???

something else to consider.....your budget! Twas the time when I could not afford to buy 4 tires at once. I had an 82 S10 that got 30k on fronts and 45+ on the drives. Idid not rotate at all then.

dsfii93sport said:
Ok,, lets break it down. I want to move my left front wheel to the left rear,, right? Okay, but............. My left front wheel has this 4x4 cap on the rim w/ grease and components in it that seems to be connected to this rim. The back wheel however doesnt have a 4x4 cap on the rim, so my question is... How do i swap the wheels???
The 4wd hub is not connected to the rim. The rim slides right off around it. If your rear wheel has a hubcap on it, you will have to pop it off and put it on the other rim.

And yes, just swap the rims front to back.

Thank you very much for clearin that up... :thumbsup:

Forgive me for not being more clear, I was trying to say the same thing as Robb in my post above....

I bring my rears straight forward and cross the fronts to the back. Thats what the manual does, thats how I do it. That way eventually each tire will hit each corner sometime down the line and they will all wear evenly.

Back