Very intermittent mirror issue 16 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Very intermittent mirror issue 16 Sport

Bill McCall

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Sport
I'm going to schedule an appointment for Monday 12/2 at my local 4 dealer. It will be the 2nd time with this problem, but I'm not angry with the dealer as the issue is VERY intermittent. This is a 2016 Explorer Sport. The mirrors are of course electrically controlled and they automatically fold when the car is locked.

The problem is about once every 5 days I will get back in the car and the driver's side mirror has moved and has moved all the day down. The right mirror always holds its position. The drivers mirror holds its position 99% of the time. Now that I know about it, I look for it, but every once in awhile I will get in the vehicle in the morning and head to work and its when I go to merge onto the interstate that I noticed the mirror is out of position and its really hard to correct while merging!

I took it to the dealer and they kept it 5 days an never saw the problem. It didn't repeat until a week later. They replaced the motor and checked the wiring. The problem is so intermittent, I don't know if they believe me! Has anyone seen anything like this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yes. There are times when the mirrors (glass) will move to the extreme that it will start to "thump, thump" as it's trying to continue. Both driver and passenger mirrors do this randomly.

I'm going to schedule an appointment for Monday 12/2 at my local 4 dealer. It will be the 2nd time with this problem, but I'm not angry with the dealer as the issue is VERY intermittent. This is a 2016 Explorer Sport. The mirrors are of course electrically controlled and they automatically fold when the car is locked.

The problem is about once every 5 days I will get back in the car and the driver's side mirror has moved and has moved all the day down. The right mirror always holds its position. The drivers mirror holds its position 99% of the time. Now that I know about it, I look for it, but every once in awhile I will get in the vehicle in the morning and head to work and its when I go to merge onto the interstate that I noticed the mirror is out of position and its really hard to correct while merging!

I took it to the dealer and they kept it 5 days an never saw the problem. It didn't repeat until a week later. They replaced the motor and checked the wiring. The problem is so intermittent, I don't know if they believe me! Has anyone seen anything like this?
I have the same issue with my 2016 EX limited. This sounds like the MKC tsb 19-2037. Maybe this will help to get it resolved.

Oh yes. There are times when the mirrors (glass) will move to the extreme that it will start to "thump, thump" as it's trying to continue. Both driver and passenger mirrors do this randomly.
Mine does that, but its just my left one, thanks for replying

I have the same issue with my 2016 EX limited. This sounds like the MKC tsb 19-2037. Maybe this will help to get it resolved.
Thanks, I assume this is a Ford Service bulletin #? I'll take this with me.

Back