very poor gas mileage 2001 sport trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

very poor gas mileage 2001 sport trac

pullchamp05

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
hey guys, i have a 2001 sport trac and the gas mileage is getting worse and worse. it was about 15 and last time i filled up, it was 11.8
any ideas as to what this could be, or how to go about correcting the situation. any suggestions would be great! thanks :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

poor mileage

Hi Rick,
I guess I would start with the obvious things first, Do you have a leaking gas tank or line? then install a new air filter, then I would check for any ODBII codes and finally I would look into cleaning your injecters, a leaky injecter or two will cause you to go through more gas.

I hope it helps.

Tom
1995 Explorer northland
2001 Explorer sport
1996 F150, 5.8, Love that motor
2002 taurus
1976 corvette (OK, One bad apple ain't bad!)

Air and Gas filter and use a little Injector cleaner. I even noticed an improvement after I replaced my serpentine belt. went from 1000 on idle to 500 and a lower RPM at highway speed. 01' 77000 plus miles.

As above.

1. check your air filter.
2. run some fuel injector cleaner thru the system
3. replace your ox sensor with a high quailty (NOT Ebay). Bosch is my favorite.
4. check Tire Preasure! many times overlooked

Average 2 to 5 tanks to get an accurate MGp

Let us know the results.

Brian B

I'd get the O2 sensors checked. Just because the CEL isn't on doesn't mean that they haven't gone bad.

Back