• Register Today It's free!

vh6 ohv swap for a v8

indecloudzUA

Reaction score
City, State
Tuscaloosa/Hoover Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4x4
i've been thinking that since im gonna hopefully be doing my SAS in dec/jan that i might need to get me a little more power...the ohv has been good to me..but lets face it..its weak..my question is would it be simpler to swap the engine for a decent v8 thats from an explorer??or would it be better to just get a ford crate motor to put in??also, are there any other parts that i will have to replace due to the swap??
thanks for the info..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a good question!
It has been done, redone, overdone and half done, this topic is talked about on this forum ALOT!

You can go either way, crate engine or donor, but you will need ALOT of parts for a complete drivetrain conversion, the best way to get all the parts you need is to buy them all in one place, a donor Explorer V8 (96-01)

You can try a search, you are going to need to do ALOT of research if you want to complete this conversion.

thanks..from what i've been reading a donor v8 explorer seems like the way to go..i guess its safe to say that it would be somewhat easier if i did this before the sas??man i feel like one heck of a car n00b..but im learning!

the axle really has nothing to do with before or after, just as long as you clear the oil pan and keep the engine mounts like factory.

For your 2000 basically it is a bolt in conversion, seriously you jsut need all the parts from a donor truck (engine/trans/t case/wiring/plumbing/cooling/PATS, etc)

you should do a search or 15

yeah...ive been doing a couple of searches...before and after the post...no real help tho...but then i didnt go thru the 15pages...just 9..lol..cant be spendin to much time on here while at work!!haha..lets hope they dont find out...the only reason why i thought it would be easier to do it before the swap is cause it wont be so high up...but then i thought about it and think ill do the sas first cause then i can make sure there are no probs anywhere when i drop in the engine and the new drivetrain and tranny...what have i gotten myself into??

a lifted truck is alot harder to hoist a drivetrain into

I researched this conversion for years before I dove in head first....even helped in a similar one, etc..

no doubt..this is definately not the end on my research on the topic..and when the time comes ill find someone thats experienced in such things to help..dont need my x dyin on me cause of me.. :D

Back