Vibrating steering wheel after brake job. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibrating steering wheel after brake job.

Chris Rambo

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Just had a brake upgrade done today, front and rear powerslot rotors,front and rear hawk pads, new front motorcraft calipers, replaced leaking rear brake line and packed bearings. Drove home and the brakes were awesome! What a huge increase in stopping power over stock brakes. However, when I turned onto my street I felt a vibration in my steering wheel. When stopped in my driveway and in park without brakes applied or in gear with brakes applied,I can feel quite a bit of vibration for the first 2 or 3 inches of the steering wheel moving(to either side). Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing the vibration?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air in the lines to power steering. Remove the resevoir cap, turn wheels back and forth, from lock to lock 3 - 5 times. Add fluid as necessary.

Thanks, tried it, it helped some but still vibrates when turning. I really notice when changing lanes at hwy speeds. I didnt add fluid afterwards, cause it was pretty full and written on the cap is do not overfill.

by lock he means turn the wheel ALL the way until you cant turn it anymore, and keep it there for a second, then the other side, and repeat 3-5 times.

Like BrianDye said, all the way to one side and hold there a sec, then back the other way as far as you can and hold it a second. Just keep at it until you can not see any more air bubbles coming out of the resevoir. Might take as many as 10 times to do it all.

Just did it again. This time held it longer at the ends and it made a huge difference. Problem fixed thanks guys. What did we do before these forums.

Back