• Register Today It's free!

Vibration at 65mph

Tethy

Reaction score
City, State
Redding, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xl
when I reach about 65-70mph my whole truck starts to shake pretty violently, my front seats and center console really get shaken up. I pass 70mph it smooths out and its not bad up until 65mph. I have tried many things now to fix it. New ball joints, radius arm bushings, shocks, u-joints, multiple tire balances, and new tires. My friend has mentioned maybe my rim is bent. I don't know what to try next..... My rpm's don't matter, its the speed, and if I engage the clutch it still vibrates. any Ideas or suggestions would be helpful. so far I have heard driveline, any other ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is this vibration happening at 65 along the same stretch of of road or is it at any where you hit 65

mine vibrates and shakes when i go like a certain speed on my 01 sport too

The road doesn't matter its the speed.

is there any thing in the front that was replaced prior to the vibration issue?

No I bought it 2 years ago and its been doing it since i bought it. :eek:

stay under 65 then? whats the speeding limit? I thought it was 60mph?

Had the same problem with mine, new rotors and pads in the front fixed the problem quite well, not a single shake since.

Rotors eh. Mine need to be resurfaced for sure. I have heard other stories of rotors causing vibrations. I guess it goes a lil higher in the priority list. TY for the info.:cool:

stay under 65 then? whats the speeding limit? I thought it was 60mph?

the speed limit in most of the country is 65/75. cruising at 80 is not uncommon. get that stick out yer butt!

ona a side note. i get vibration going exactly 65+ no matter where/turning/etc. it does vary but its vibrating. feels like its from the front. everything shakes. its bearable.. but annoying and possibly unsafe. all my brakes were recently redone as weel as most of the front end. alignment seems ok. and tires are brand new

sounds like my issue. hopefully a driveline check will show the the true problem. if not then its time to turn the rotors... and ya the speedlimit is 65/70mph.

so its rotors? mine does that also between 60 and 70 and its really aggervating. my truck also shakes when im braking between 60 down to 50. is that rotors too?

The braking sounds like rotors. as for the vibration I am still try'n to pin point it. Its getting narrowed down tho.

thanks for the help! let me know when u figure it out. i might try and go get an alignment next week and see if that helps

Any other ideas, why it would vibrate like that? so far I have heard driveline and rotors. Could worn tie rods cause a vibration?

bent driveshaft, take it to a driveshaft shop and let them drive it

ty for the info and the link.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump*

Something is very similar is happening to me at around 65mph.

Difference is that my problem is not the front but the rear. This was after my tires where rotated. Also their is strange squeek when I go into roll, forward and backwards on the rear passenger wheel.

Would drum brake do this shaking/vibrating? Its not a driveshaft issue because its not like I go off roading or stomp on the gas. U-joint problem?

Back