Vibration at highway speeds | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration at highway speeds

Has anyone found out a reason for the vibrations? I recently just purchased a 2015 explorer xlt with 25000km on it. Its been in the shop once already for a hard shift in the transmission (which they could not produce) and a vibration and hum around 100km/h. The dealer said the vibration and hum was due to a faulty engine mount, replaced it and sent it back to me "fixed". Thought it might have been the tires out of balance but i just had new rims and winters put on and its doing the exact same thing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

60-75 Mph Vibrations

-Cross Posted-

I see I'm late to this party. 2013 Ford Explorer Limited AWD with 76K bought used last November (73K when I got it). Thought the freeway vibrations and shimmy at lower speeds was older tires. Procrastinated on getting new tires until a month ago (we only drive this on trips or weekends, we have DD's). First got Bridgestones then went to Hankooks chasing this vibration. Ford Dealer where I bought it from said at first that because I didn't get the tires road force balanced that was the issue. Then replaced the front struts and still vibrates but worse at highway speeds. Note, the rear gear housing and maybe some other components of the rear end were replaced shorty after I bought it due to a leak in the rear gear because a bearing wore out. I've had it back to them 4 times for this vibration, the service manager actually told me in an email that I should take my vehicle to another dealer. All I own is Ford, 2 Escapes and a Mustang. Who tells a customer like that to take it to someone else? This is a really big Ford dealer as well. Reading through all these comments this is an issue going on to the 16 models. Very frustrated.:(

few questions, yes I didn't read it all.

are all these vehicles AWD?

do they all have matching balanced tires that are NOT out of round/cupping or bent wheels?

might see a pattern somewhere.

Mine is AWD
Problem improved by replacing tires with better quality tires.
With the original Hankooks, Road-Force balancing helps but only briefly.
Many years ago a Ford engineer told me Ford had trouble with the wheel-tire interface on the Mustang(?) wheels not holding the tire in place causing the tire to shift on the wheel and the assembly going out-of-balance.

Back