• Register Today It's free!

Vibration at speed

Howser57

Reaction score
City, State
Picking, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer EB
My wife just purchased a used 2003 Explorer Eddie B.

At slow city speeds it runs like a charm, nice and quiet.

At highway speeds there is a vibration that becomes noticeable around 55 mph. There is nothing that is felt through the steering system, that is smooth as silk at speed. It seems to be coming from beneath the truck. You can feel the vibration through your body through the seats.

It is nothing you can hear, there is no sound associated with the vibration.

Any ideas? Newbie to this forum. I belong to a few forums for other vehicles we have and these are a God send.

Thanks.....Doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem. It just started a few weeks ago. Did you find a solution?

No, I had no replies.....possibly it is a unique problem. I am speculating that it is drive shaft or U joint related. When the weather gets a bit nicer I plan to have a look underneath.

If anyone else has experienced the problem and has found the cure, please let me know.

Thanks....Doug

bad tread

I would be lookign at the tires... I had a car once that did that, and it turned out to be a bad sprt on the tread of tire... at a certain speed the car would vibrate... maybe it was the perfect harmonic....

I just had this fixed on my '02 EB. It was the rear driveshaft. There was a Ford Technical Service Bulletin for it describing the exact problem.

05-16-04 DRIVELINE 1ST ORDER VIBRATION/BOOM/DRONE

The fix is to get the updated "Premium driveshaft" installed.

68Restoman

Is it coming from the differential? I've read about a lot of explorers that whine/hum at around 50-55 because of the differential. Mine does it as well; its an 02' EB X.

Back