Vibration during acceleration | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Vibration during acceleration

dyazdani

Reaction score
City, State
Crossett, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have a 92 XLT, it vibrates while accelerating but only from 35-45mph, after that it smooths out. I have searched the forums for similar issues, but couldn't find a fix that jived with my particular case.

It vibrates during the stated speed range, but only if accelerating. If I let off the gas some while maintaining 35-45mph, it's as smooth as can be. I've changed the spark plugs, plug wires, and cleaned my MAF.

Only known issues are slightly loose front end due to worn out shocks, front tires need to be aligned and replaced.

Any suggestions on what to look at next? I plan on getting 4 new tires in the near future.

Thanks!

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MAXIMIS1

Reaction score
City, State
Upland California
Year, Model & Trim Level
10/93 Explorer sport
replace the shocks NOW!!!!! THEN LOOK INTO possible drive line u-joints ect. but first shocks and if your tires are not round this is also a cause. bald tire separate and is often very hard to see with eye, they can consume 10-80-100% of a tire (large bubble of air between plys of the tire

<

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
IF it only happens when on the gas, it sounds like the syptom I had a few years ago.. It was a vibration that started at only certain speeds, then went to all speeds.. mine was bad u-joints (they weren't loose, they were practically frozen)

~Mark

<

Creager

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
Yeah id say like everyone said above... replace U-joints

worse case senario, driveshaft gets off balance; or even differential parts get jarred up. But thats not a common problem, inspect those u-joints.

<

dyazdani

Reaction score
City, State
Crossett, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Thanks for all the help. I will take a look at them this afternoon.

<

dyazdani

Reaction score
City, State
Crossett, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I looked at all the U-joints this afternoon. Looked on the driveshaft and the wheel joints. I did not find anything obviously wrong. Is there a proper procedure for inspecting a u-joint? I tried twisting them to look for play and a visual inspection.

Thanks

<

RanSit

Reaction score
City, State
Hammonton New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT 2WD
i had this problem but b4 it got bad, it was from 45-50 then exactly at 60 the whole truck woudl shake. after we replaced the tranny didnt happen again. i dont know why it did that, it just did

<

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Your desription sounds like a textbook U joint problem. As others have said.

<

Longjohn119

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
Are there grease zerks on your U-joints? If not they are originals and should be replaced

<

dyazdani

Reaction score
City, State
Crossett, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
They are the original U-joints. Is it a very difficult job to raplace them yourself? If I decide to take it to a shop, any idea how much I should expect to pay?

Thanks

<

MAXIMIS1

Reaction score
City, State
Upland California
Year, Model & Trim Level
10/93 Explorer sport
its is a specific process to replace the joint . it will save you allot of money if you remove the drive-shaft/`s [ft & rear] and bring them to a drive-line spec. shop or reputable mechanic. there are two joints on the rear shaft. they should run you about 10-35 dollars each. [many manufactures]. if your going to have a shop do it might want to let them obtain parts for you in order for a guarantee. most shops will not even install a customer. purchased part!!!!. i would recommend shop doing it if you have never seen or done it yourself, or not have anyone around that has. but you should have no trouble taking it or them out....oh ya and its should not be more then a 1 1/2 hours labor more like 1 hour labor but most shop will have a set price for the job at least if they do allot of them..

<

dyazdani

Reaction score
City, State
Crossett, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Thanks. I am going to get 4 new tires and an alignment in the next week or so just to make sure that part is right. My friend said today that he has replaced U-joints in Fords before so we will change out the driveshaft U-joints when I get the truck back from the tire place.

<

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
Seems like 9 times out of 10 when you get vibration on acceleration, it is the u-joints.

Don't forget to lube the slip yoke while you're at it!

<

dyazdani

Reaction score
City, State
Crossett, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Going to AutoZone this afternoon to get the u-joints and some grease. Will replace them tonight and see what happens!

<

dyazdani

Reaction score
City, State
Crossett, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Well, I got 2 new U-joints installed on the driveshaft - it took a lot of work until I got the right tool. The vibration has gone away and she's running smooth again. Getting new tires and an alignment tomorrow, so all should be right again.

Thanks to all for the help.

<