Vibration on 1997 4x4 Eddie Bauer Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration on 1997 4x4 Eddie Bauer Explorer

pepe501

Reaction score
I have a 97 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 196k on it. I took the car to my mechanic for a vibration that was occurring when I let off the accelerator at any speed above 55 or so. It seems to stay 80% smoother when I keep on the accelerator. He said I had a bad front drive shaft and replaced that. That did absolutely nothing and cost $450 bucks! A total ripoff, which is odd behavior for this guy. A friend suggested the U joints today, so I may try that this weekend. Any thoughts? I have already spent more than I was willing, so I will part this thing if it's something expensive.

I would say it was the universal joint. Does it make a heavy clunking noise when you put it in gear?

Why did the mechanic suspect the drive shaft was bad? What did he do after he "fixed it", and it wasn't what he said it was?

He now says he thinks it's the transfer case. He said it felt kind of loose. It doesn't make any clunking sound when going into gear, but the front end has some popping type noise when turning into my driveway, which has a slight bump at the curb. I'm at a loss here. I really don't want to have this become a money pit, even though that last ripoff already kind of made it one.

I have the exact same problem man!

Im gettin the tires balanced tomorrow.... gonna check my driveshaft and U joints to... Mine is an auto and it clunks a bit when I put in from P to D...

####ing sucks cause it vibrates like crazy

Back