• Register Today It's free!

vibration upon acceleration?

Exrange

Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 sport trac 4.6 limit
Just recently i've noticed vibration when i accelerate. It does it in every gear but goes away when i get in the higher rpm range. And what i don't undestand is that it goes away when i take my foot off the gas. I bought new plugs and wires for it thinking that it might be a missfiring problem but havn't installed them yet. Any ideas?? thanks, Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles on it? Do you have a manual transmission? If so, maybe your clutch is slipping.

I have the same problem when I accelerate through 20mph. Doesn't do it in 4x4 mode. I am guessing it's the rear end. Anyone?

its a manual transmission with 130k on the original clutch. But it doesn't slip in the higher rpm range.

I would say its either the rear axel may be bent if you do allot of 4x4'ing and if not that, try to get your tires re-balanced.
Good luck

thanks for your help, i guess i'll have to look into it a little further. Matt

Sounds like a problem I had about six months ago. Check the u-joints on your drive shaft. You will probably find one of them has some play in it.

To check it, put the parking break on and put the truck in nutral. Now crawl under and see if you can detect any play in either u-joint.

If that's the problem, replace both u-joints.

Back