Vibration | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration

At some speeds it shudders (a vibration like ) it feels like it should be shifting into another gear. Noticed it soon after started driving it after getting used to driving a new car you start to notice things that don't seem to be right had the Explorer for a week or so when I took it up to be rust proofed noticed the shudder then I had not driven it much at that point, I mentioned it to the service man.

The shudder feels like being on a rumble strip on the road just a lot more subtle.

My wife who I share this Explorer with commented about the shudder it is bad enough that we are thinking about trading if it doesn't come out of it will have more discussions with Ford about this . This is the second Explorer we have owned the previous one was a 2017 it was perfect but was totaled after a tree fell on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tires, it sounds as if one of them could have a bubble or bump on them. Run your hand around the edges of each tire and see if they are uniformly round.

Welcome to the Forum Chips. :wave:
Did this just start happening only after getting it rustproofed or before? Things to check could be wheel balance and alignment.

Peter

Heavy coat of ziebart on one side of the shaft? (The bottom while spraying)

So my 2020 XLT 2.3 not even a month old been having a vibration that can be felt in the seat through steering wheel at various speeds while accelerating. Finally got a service appointment , tech said it was a wheel balance, they re-balanced all 4 tires to no avail , solved nothing , said they contacted ford technical support with the symptoms , now they saying it’s the driveshaft is bad and is bent causing the vibration and has to be changed so as of today the part is on order and my new truck I bought to not have problems is now stuck in the shop till further notice. My concern is the shop doing this as a possible fix or a definite fix, guess only time will tell and I’ll update when I find out more information.
my 2019 Ford Explorer was vibrating so much I was afraid... We changed the drive shaft, we changed the axles, we upgraded the tires, we cooperated in every way we could. Ford said it is just something the Explorers do...I have had a few Explorers over the years and the only ones that are vibrating are the 2019 and, guess what?, the 2020 Explorer we bought to get out of the vibration problems with the 2019!!! Not happy and Ford better step up or we will seek legal help. I have been reading about the motor mounts being defective, so that may be the solution, but the engineers have to call that. Apparently the customer means nothing to them.

It's not exactly clear but I'm guessing you are saying that the 2020 also has a vibration? My 2011 and 2017 Explorers did not have the issue

Peter

Did you check to see if the recalls for the motor mounts and also the drive shaft apply to your ST?. Either one could cause a vibration.

I'm having the same issue -- vibration when accelerating and turning left/right from a stop. Occurs at low RPM's and disappears above 25mph.

Took it in to the dealer and the service manager was able to replicate the problem and chassis ears confirmed the vibration. They ended up replacing the rear differential, and had to also replace the driveshaft since it seized to the differential. According to the invoice, when they disassembled the differential they discovered wear on the pinion and pinion bearings that were causing noise and gear hop at low speeds.

Unfortunately, the problem is still occurring. Waiting to hear back from the dealer on the next steps.

So my 2020 XLT 2.3 not even a month old been having a vibration that can be felt in the seat through steering wheel at various speeds while accelerating. Finally got a service appointment , tech said it was a wheel balance, they re-balanced all 4 tires to no avail , solved nothing , said they contacted ford technical support with the symptoms , now they saying it’s the driveshaft is bad and is bent causing the vibration and has to be changed so as of today the part is on order and my new truck I bought to not have problems is now stuck in the shop till further notice. My concern is the shop doing this as a possible fix or a definite fix, guess only time will tell and I’ll update when I find out more information.
Look to the motor mounts...big problem...

What came of it? I had same issue explorer 2020 XLT. Same protocol, first they balanced all tires, nope, then replaced drive shaft, nope, then called ford and was told that's just the way explorers are! I called myself to ford customer relations and was told the same thing? Now I'm waiting to go through an arbitration process and see if I can get them to do a buy back. Something really wrong with these things, and I think Ford's trying to cover it up.

What came of it? I had same issue explorer 2020 XLT. Same protocol, first they balanced all tires, nope, then replaced drive shaft, nope, then called ford and was told that's just the way explorers are! I called myself to ford customer relations and was told the same thing? Now I'm waiting to go through an arbitration process and see if I can get them to do a buy back. Something really wrong with these things, and I think Ford's trying to cover it up.
I tried to buy my way out of the same problem with the 2019 Ford XLT Explorer and ended up with the 2020 doing the exact same thing...now, starting all over. Dealer trying to tell me it is the tires...my winter tires just came off and summers put on, same problem, but this is not going to go away. My husband said, we have dealt with drive shaft exchange, front axle replacement, motor mounts checked, two sets of tires exchanged, load test done on tires, alignment checked and we are right back where we started and now the dealership's mechanic is focusing on bad tires, yet refused to replace the tires. Michelin responded to this immediately with guarantees of their tires. Nothing is going to change until the public demands change and Ford will not take accountability. Two different dealers are saying they 'know nothing about this problem, never heard of it'. Good luck, Jay, let us know how this works out for you.

I'm having the same issue -- vibration when accelerating and turning left/right from a stop. Occurs at low RPM's and disappears above 25mph.

Took it in to the dealer and the service manager was able to replicate the problem and chassis ears confirmed the vibration. They ended up replacing the rear differential, and had to also replace the driveshaft since it seized to the differential. According to the invoice, when they disassembled the differential they discovered wear on the pinion and pinion bearings that were causing noise and gear hop at low speeds.

Unfortunately, the problem is still occurring. Waiting to hear back from the dealer on the next steps.
I have the same exact wobble/vibration when turning left or right and accelerating and goes away after a certain speed. Never when from a stop and straight only when turning. Going into the shop Tuesday.

I just get my 22 explorer st. i'm wondering why the steering vibrated when i drive. I believe something to do with axcel or transmission because i don't feel anything when i'm idling with P. So please

This is the 5th gen forum fyi you want the 6th gen.

As for the shaking it could be tire inbalance, bad tires etc. Lift up the front tires and check the frontend for play. Tie rods and ball joints are easy to check. I imagine you have a warranty since that is a new car.

Took a ride and while reversing out of driveway the vibrations were in the steering wheel, but switching to neutral made it stop. Possibly loose engine mounts?

Maybe because you should not be feeling vibrations because of the wheels at that speed where you are just backing up so slowly. So it might not be the wheels.

I have the same exact wobble/vibration when turning left or right and accelerating and goes away after a certain speed. Never when from a stop and straight only when turning. Going into the shop Tuesday.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I just get my 22 explorer st. i'm wondering why the steering vibrated when i drive. I believe something to do with axcel or transmission because i don't feel anything when i'm idling with P. So please
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was moved to the 6th gen forum and merged with this existing thread.
I'd have the dealer check the tire balance and alignment before doing anything else. Being a new vehicle does not guarantee perfection.
Good luck and please report back.

Peter

My new Explorer starts vibrating from about 150kmh (85/90mph), guess i need to have the dealer check the driveshafts too :s

Its just over 1000km :s (620 miles orso!)

My new Explorer starts vibrating from about 150kmh (85/90mph), guess i need to have the dealer check the driveshafts too :s

Its just over 1000km :s (620 miles orso!)
Have you had the alignment checked?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had the alignment checked?

Peter
Not yet, tomorrow its going to a buddy of mine for an alarm and dashcam, ill have him check the alignment and possible bent axles.

Will also make a dealer appointment soon as there as some other things i want them to check/fix. Have had some issues with the transmission too and some details on the exterior that need to get fixed.

Back