Vibration

Woah322

Reaction score
City, State
SI,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 Interceptor
23 XLT
So my 2020 XLT 2.3 not even a month old been having a vibration that can be felt in the seat through steering wheel at various speeds while accelerating. Finally got a service appointment , tech said it was a wheel balance, they re-balanced all 4 tires to no avail , solved nothing , said they contacted ford technical support with the symptoms , now they saying it’s the driveshaft is bad and is bent causing the vibration and has to be changed so as of today the part is on order and my new truck I bought to not have problems is now stuck in the shop till further notice. My concern is the shop doing this as a possible fix or a definite fix, guess only time will tell and I’ll update when I find out more information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems like more grasping at straws but you have no choice but to go along. Unfortunately, parts are hard to come by and who knows how long you'll be waiting. Keep us posted... I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue.

Update: After 2 weeks received the vehicle back. Invoice says, Concern Verified. Inspected and found driveshaft has slight bend, no impact damage visible, removed and replaced driveshaft , test drove vehicle after service and verified concern is no longer present.
Installed W717822 S439: Bolt Qty 2
Installed W719511 S439: Bolt Qty 8
Installed L1MZ 4R602 A: Shaft Asy-Drive : Qty 1

So mine developed a light but noticeable driveline vibration from about take off to maybe 30mph. I was given a 2020 explorer xlt loaner seemingly bare bones compared to our ST, but is quite nice and performs very well.

There is a recent SSM-48623 for vibration, see attached and how it *might* be applicable to some 2020 Explorers:

Attachments

• 046D3053-808F-4235-B002-703F2EF1CF9C.jpeg
    046D3053-808F-4235-B002-703F2EF1CF9C.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 617

I have a 2020 ST with less than 3000 miles. After my first oil change service at the dealer, and latest software update, I started noticing a vibration in steering wheel at pretty much all speeds. Feels like both road vibrations and engine vibrations. Also felt some vibrations in the center console rest while idle the other day. Anyone else notice this? I have a state inspection due soon so will bring it up with dealer.

Vibrations in the steering wheel sometimes can be caused by out of balance wheels but would usually also be felt throughout the vehicle. The fact that it happened right after an oil change seems odd. Did they do an alignment check at that time as well? Is the vibration you feel on the console armrest at idle the same as the steering wheel? Unless this is somehow engin- related it is difficult to say if the two are the result of the same issue.

Peter

Vibrations in the steering wheel sometimes can be caused by out of balance wheels but would usually also be felt throughout the vehicle. The fact that it happened right after an oil change seems odd. Did they do an alignment check at that time as well? Is the vibration you feel on the console armrest at idle the same as the steering wheel? Unless this is somehow engin- related it is difficult to say if the two are the result of the same issue.

Peter
The work order just shows oil change and "perform express electronic multipoint inspection report". The console vibration has only happened once while sitting at a stop light, it was similar to the one in the steering wheel when the engine is first started and warming up at idle. It is like my steering wheel is sensitive to all vibrations through the vehicle. There is a particular stretch of road that has a series of ripples that I can feel coming from the front right tire through the steering wheel. I'm sure dealer will check for out of balance tires. Of note, the dealer took 2 hours to perform the oil change, who knows what they were doing the whole time.

Unless they just took the vehicle in and had it waiting for another to be finished, that is a very long time even with the inspection report.

Peter

Unless they just took the vehicle in and had it waiting for another to be finished, that is a very long time even with the inspection report.

Peter
Yeah I thought it was odd, there was probably two other people waiting at the dealer wait room and I had scheduled a appointment.

Do you have the lane departure alert turned on? Sometimes it goes off and vibrates your steering vigorously to alert you to get back within the lane even when you are Not out of lane but one side of the lines on the road vanishes in certain areas. I understand you would be aware of this but just one more thing to rule out.

Didn't ST's come with p-zero tires?

If so, that is a summer tire. Not sure where you live but if you're experiencing cold weather right now, that could be one factor. Since summer tires become hard as a rock when the temps drop so you're feeling every bit of the road. It's like driving on plastic tires.

Also maybe during the inspection one of the techs knocked a wheel weight or 2 off a wheel? If you feel vibration in the steering wheel, it's the front wheels, vibrations in your seat is the rear wheels. I would go back to the dealer and tell them since you just came from there when these problems arose.

And quick question, what did you get the software update for? And did you tell them to do it or they just did it?

If so, that is a summer tire. Not sure where you live but if you're experiencing cold weather right now, that could be one factor. Since summer tires become hard as a rock when the temps drop so you're feeling every bit of the road. It's like driving on plastic tires.

Also maybe during the inspection one of the techs knocked a wheel weight or 2 off a wheel? If you feel vibration in the steering wheel, it's the front wheels, vibrations in your seat is the rear wheels. I would go back to the dealer and tell them since you just came from there when these problems arose.

And quick question, what did you get the software update for? And did you tell them to do it or they just did it?.
Yes I have the Pirelli tires, but temps are still in the 50s/60s where I live. I'll have to check if it is more noticeable during night temps. I checked the wheel weights and some have fewer than others, but figured that is based on the individual wheel.

I got Sync build 20136. I assume the dealer did the update unless it auto updated while sitting in my garage via wifi.

Did you have the tires rotated with the oil change? If so have the lug nuts been retorqued?

?

And quick question, what did you get the software update for? And did you tell them to do it or they just did it?
The ST has Pirelli Scorpion Zero M+S tires not summer tires.

Yes I have the Pirelli tires, but temps are still in the 50s/60s where I live. I'll have to check if it is more noticeable during night temps. I checked the wheel weights and some have fewer than others, but figured that is based on the individual wheel.

I got Sync build 20136. I assume the dealer did the update unless it auto updated while sitting in my garage via wifi.

Oh, i would call the dealer anyway and let them know so you can bring the car back in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Took a ride and while reversing out of driveway the vibrations were in the steering wheel, but switching to neutral made it stop. Possibly loose engine mounts?

Back