• Register Today It's free!

vibrations losing patients

emac2001

Reaction score
City, State
parlin nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer sport
ok, so i have a 95 sport, have had the front end looked twice in the past week, had the tires rebalanced and its still vibrating at any speed above 20 mph! i have fanning on the inner edge of my passenger tire, and i measured the front end and the passenger side seems to be about 3/4 of an inch taller than the driver side up front. any ideas before i completely lose it! and also, if anyone could point me in the right direction for doing a camber alignment up front, it would be appreciated as me and 2 other people i know have the dreaded appearence of / \ in the front end, though mine is the worst of the bunch. my drivers side isnt all that bad but passenger side definetly almost looks as bad as the little lame diagram i made before, but everything up front is tight as could be, no play in tires at all.
HELP!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a tire vibration, a driveline vibration, shaking, or what?

i honestly have no idea at this point. steering wheel feels pretty good, but vibrating is felt through it, it feels as though its coming from the front end. it started after hitting an excessive speed the previous night, if that helps. i was going 90 plus for a few miles.

just did a tire rotation, lets see if the vibration changes, will keep you postes.

when was the last time the u-joints were greased or replaced???????

The vibration is likely from the tires being cupped or feathered as you stated. You cant balance that out at all. The culprit is likely the upper ball joints. I read on here the lowers would cause that, but honestly my lowers were not too bad. The uppers literally almost fell apart in my hand. The screwy thing was that the alignment was spot on, even with worn out ball joints.

You can buy the upper control arm, MOOG, with new control arm bushings and a new ball joint already pressed in. If you order from advanced auto online and type in promo code VISA, you can get both sides for under $200. Also, the passenger side 2 piece can be replaced with a 1 piece MOOG control arm as well. I just went through this within the last 2 weeks. I also had the tires pressed off and turned around so the cupping is on the outside now. Just trying to maximize my tires!

Good Luck,
shooked <///><

Even if you do replace parts, you may still have some vibration if the tires have already cupped.

Even if you do replace parts, you may still have some vibration if the tires have already cupped.

Without a doubt. Mine are horrible over 65mph on the highway. Too much tread to replace though.:thumbdwn:

it is infact the upper control arm/ upper ball joint. sorry for the understatement for the feeling, though the tire will be slightly vibrating after, this "vibration" literally made my back numb within a 15 mile drive. should have fixed within the next couple days.

ok, so replaced the upper control arm/ ball joint and fixed nothing, though ball joint was shot out. any other ideas, it shakes pretty bad and im out of ideas! between 10-30 mph i feel it slightly in the shifter ( 5-speed )

Check your driveshaft. It may have tossed a weight off it.

how could i tell if i threw a weight?

Not exactly sure how you would check for a lost weight, maybe look for a unusually clean area on the drive shaft where the weight was stuck on? I would also check the u-joints, they tend to vibrate if they have not been greased or are shot. I think the u-joints on most Fords are non-greaseable, so they would have to be replaced.

Someone else mentioned it... check your U-joints. Same thing happened to me on a previous vehicle. Drove me crazy until the U-joints were replaced.

My vote is the U-joints being bad, which is a cheap fix (10-15 dollars a piece), or the drive shaft being out of balance. I've seen terrible vibrations with both but I would start with the U-joints especially since you are experiencing it at such low speeds. If they are causing a vibration as bad as you are saying it is then you should be able to crawl under your truck and wiggle the U-joints. If they move at all they are bad. Even if they don't wiggle though, they still could be bad.

Worst case senerio I would say the bearings in the transmission being worn. The vibration caused by that usually occurs at higher speeds.

how could i tell if i threw a weight?
There should be a different color spot on the driveshaft if the weight as recently thrown. However, not all shafts have weights on them, and that was only a suggestion of what to look for. I hope you find the vibration.

i would look at the tie rod ends too, mine was doing that, it shimmied just a bit, and everything seemed okay, than i put the front up on stands and the one outer tie rod was a bit sloppy,

the u-joints can have one good side and one bad. to check they have to both be removed and checked by hand, just shaking while still may not do it. it be a hassle but at least a piece of mind knowing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, so i have a 95 sport, have had the front end looked twice in the past week, had the tires rebalanced and its still vibrating at any speed above 20 mph! i have fanning on the inner edge of my passenger tire,

** and i measured the front end and the passenger side seems to be about 3/4 of an inch taller than the driver side up front. **

any ideas before i completely lose it! and also, if anyone could point me in the right direction for doing a camber alignment up front, it would be appreciated as me and 2 other people i know have the dreaded appearence of / \ in the front end, though mine is the worst of the bunch. my drivers side isnt all that bad but passenger side definetly almost looks as bad as the little lame diagram i made before, but everything up front is tight as could be, no play in tires at all.
HELP!!!!!!!

How does the front end look now that you replaced the upper control arms/ball joints? If one side is taller than the other you should use the torsion adjuster bolts to 1) raise the lower side so they are even and 2) then slightly raise both sides until the tires sit straight without camber issues.

As for the vibration, definitely agree with checking the drive shafts for bad joints - especially the front shaft if the vibration seems to be everywhere as opposed to just one side of the truck. As mentioned the only good way to check is to pull the shafts and turn the joints by hand. If not butter smooth and easy to turn in all directions, the joint is trashed. Good news is u-joints are cheap and not difficult to replace. Drive shaft CV joints, not so much.

Back