vibrations when accelerating or 3k rpm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

vibrations when accelerating or 3k rpm

Luis696

Reaction score
City, State
London
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4.0L SOHC 1998
Hi, my Explorer vibrates quite strongly when going uphill or reaching 3000 rpm, doesn’t matter which gear car is, it looks like more stress is added to the engine, more vibrations I’m receiving, whole dashboard rattling, I can feel one touching floor and looking through back mirror I can see shaking view, apart from one everything seems to be normal, car doesn’t take more fuel, there is no error lights on dashboard.

I’ve been in garage and they said to me that it might be a problem with exhaust, so I got one checked as well, and I’ve been told that it might be that something is going wrong with one and that it may break soon, but it looks good now.

I’m not too confident with what I’ve been told, and I’m looking maybe one of you has experienced something similar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi, thanks for no replying. I think this is bigger problem than I was thinking, no one can answer the question, the last light in the tunnel, I have received was that I’ve got a problem with insulator within engine mounting, and that it has to be removed for inspection and if necessary replaced, to be frank both or three of them,

any thoughts on this? I’m not to keen on disassembling engine mounts if not needed, and also have any of you got any ideas where ones can be found?

I had a vibration when I drove my vehicle around 45-55 mph and the rpms were around 2200. I found out that my tires were going bad. I replaced them and it's smooth sailing. Not sure if this helps you out, just throwing a bone out there.

Could it be as simple as an out of balance wheel?

David

to the OP: people generally won't reply if they don't know what advic to offer, no need to take offense..

check your engine mounts, and as was mentioned, have your wheels balanced

Still fighting with it, no one knows what it can be, basically when press accelerating pedal and revs reach 2500-3000 rpm whole car vibrates, car doesn’t have to be in motion, recently discovered squeaking noise as it looks from belt tensioner, can it be connected? I mean when belt tensioner is worn, can it cause something like it? Does anyone have an idea? I’m so desperate to get it fixed, as I’m worring it may transfer into something serious, and I do not want one to happen, obviously ford dealer wasn’t too much of help, as usual in here (UK)

Thinking along logical lines... If the vehicle is not in motion and the vibration happens around 3k RPM that would indicate something associated with the engine. The serpetine belt and tensioner would be part of that equation. These are easy to replace, relatively inexpensive and should be part of normal maintenance.

If that doesn't fix the problem then it's time to dig deeper. Maybe ingition or???

I was thinking ignition too, sounds like what happens when rev limiters kick in.

I'm assuming no codes (not just no check engine light)?

Man, squeeking noise + vribation at certain RPMs = universal joints are toast.

I had these exact symptoms about 4 weeks ago, changed my rear driveshaft universals and the ride is muuuuuuch smoother than I've ever felt it.

thanks, will replace tensioner and belt, will be back to let you know, hope it will help, thanks again, about the codes, I haven't checked them yet :( and info was just about lights on the dashboard.

Man, squeeking noise + vribation at certain RPMs = universal joints are toast.

I had these exact symptoms about 4 weeks ago, changed my rear driveshaft universals and the ride is muuuuuuch smoother than I've ever felt it.

He mentioned that it didn't have to be moving to make the vibration, so I think that may be out ;)

I have the same problem on my 99' Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0.
It happen when running and in parking when reach 2500-3000 RPM. It comes like from front underbody. Any ideas?

I am having a similar problem too. but mine started vibrating @ 2k-2800 rpm. i just had the timing chains replaced & since then thats when i been having the vibrating issue. & now the other day i seemed to have lost all power under acceleration. when in drive & give it gas it will stall & die, but it will idle fine & will go in reverse fine.

Back