Vibrations

Georgie

Reaction score
City, State
montreal canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL
Hi all,

Had a oil leak at the front diff coming from the pinion seal. The companion flange was grooved so i got a new one from ford and reused the old crush sleeve, never took it out. Also reused the nut. Put locktight and followed the procedure to remove wheels and brakes, then use a inch pound dial torque wrench and got within spec of 14-23 inch/lb (for old crush sleeve). Also went ahead and installed the new seal and drained and filled up with royal purple.

Started her up and its been running perfect with no leaks for the last 500 miles.

Yesterday i started to get vibrations when accelerating. Cruising nothing. Feel it mostly between 1800-3000 rpm...30-50 mph. I don't know what to do.

I went under and disconnected the front drive shaft from the pinion and flipped it. It got a little better but still getting vibrations... any ideas?

The only thing i can think of is something in the front diff that's getting effed up...

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Far as I know the only way you're measuring the pinion preload is with the entire diff dissembled and carrier out with pinion free spinning. The only way to "properly" reuse a crush sleeve is to count the number of turns when you took the nut off and then put it back on that EXACT number of turns. Otherwise you're preload is going to be wrong.

I learned this the hard way too OP but hopefully this isn't the case for you.

EDIT: Are you sue your drive shaft didn't back off on you? I wouldn't think you would get bad vibrations if preload is wrong. Usually it will just destroy your bearings in a quick minute and probably give you lots of gear noise.

The vibrations arent that bad...its minimal. But they werent there befor. What do you mean by driveshat backing off???

Thanks

The problem may be caused by either by a worn out universal joint or low transmission fluid.

Ok i will check the fluid. Which on is the universal joint?

Thanks

I mean have your drive shaft bolts loosened up causing the shaft to move around on the pinion flange. You're supposed to use new bolts and lock tite when you put them back on. So if you didn't it's possible it loosened up.

Ok checked fluid and its fine...and all bolts are up to torque spec...

This is driving me nuts

Back