"Victory at Sea" tread wear!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Victory at Sea" tread wear!?!

My driver's front tire is developing some weird tread wear. I've run mud tires on the TTB for years, so I know it has quirky wear, but this is new. When viewed from the side, the tire is slowly becoming 'paddles'. When looking down at the tread, there is noticable diagonal wear stripes from right to left. It looks like a choppy ocean!

Attachments

• tread1.jpg
    tread1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 263

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Attachments

• tread2.jpg
    tread2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 306

Ball joints don't seem too bad. Alignment doesn't seem to off. And it's just the one side. What can cause this?

Attachments

• tread3.jpg
    tread3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 287

Shocks or weak springs? Also balance could do that.

Ok so how do shocks or weak springs cause that???

I am just curious cause I also had a tire look like this but that was before I did my ball joints on both sides. I got rid of one tire and the other is now my full size spare.

I thought I was told it was the ball joints that cause that.

The tire bounces slightly as it goes down the road > suspension or balance

If left for a long time...My Ex does that exact same thing on any set of tires.....

On ONE tire only....I too would like to find out what does it....

from the picture, i think this is a form of cupping, caused by worn/damaged steering/suspension parts or out of balance tire. maybe balance the tire. if its fine then switch tire sides and see if happens to the new tire, or if the old tire gets worse. if the old tire gets worse it could be a bad tire or maybe even the wheel. with alignment, a bad toe angle would feather ( tread goes |\ |\ |\) both sides, a bad camber would noticibly wear one side of the tire more than the other. please send me a pm it you figure it out, ive never seen anything like it.

Mine did the same thing! My damn MT/Rs look like saw blades! It was so loud on the highway. I just swapped out my spare MT/R with less thread for the saw blade one. :D But someone told me what causes that is exactly what fiftyfeetup is saying. He would tell I had a problem before the threads got too noticably oceanic. :D

Back