VIN Chassis number on Ford Explorer 1999 - Solved | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

VIN Chassis number on Ford Explorer 1999 - Solved

Merald

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 1999
I had a very hard time finding my VIN on the frame. Its required by the goverment control in Sweden, not enough with the VIN in windshield or under the hood. This explorerforum have helped me SO many times, so I just thought I will share the location for others that needs to locate it.

The vin is the little rectangular box you see on photo surrounded by fresh black paint. Just in the middle between the top and bottom of the frame, in the middle of passenger door. Its the back wheels you see on the picture just to not confuse.

DSC_0317.jpg

photo sharing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting...never thought about there being a VIN on the frame. I'll have to take a look at mine next time I'm working on it.

Merald, thank you so SO much!
i'm swedish too, have a '98.
(owned it since' 04)

I've been spared so far by the swedish inspection until now, but this year they demanded a visible vin on the frame or no passing, no exceptions whatsoever.

And - my vin-stamping was in the EXACT same spot as your picture!
under passenger door, between doorhandle and rear mirror.
(in pretty perfect condition, since i performed a rust protection (tectyl) in 2004, with a follow-up in '09)

So anyways, you saved me multiple hours, either from scraping rustprotection on the frame searching, or the bureaucratic hassle with a new stamping and all the paperwork and money involved with that.

God how i love forums on internet in times like these!

And just to add, this forum has helped me on earlier issues also.

Thanks a lot!

Merald, thank you so SO much!
i'm swedish too, have a '98.
(owned it since' 04)

I've been spared so far by the swedish inspection until now, but this year they demanded a visible vin on the frame or no passing, no exceptions whatsoever.

And - my vin-stamping was in the EXACT same spot as your picture!
under passenger door, between doorhandle and rear mirror.
(in pretty perfect condition, since i performed a rust protection (tectyl) in 2004, with a follow-up in '09)

So anyways, you saved me multiple hours, either from scraping rustprotection on the frame searching, or the bureaucratic hassle with a new stamping and all the paperwork and money involved with that.

God how i love forums on internet in times like these!

And just to add, this forum has helped me on earlier issues also.

Thanks a lot!

IMG_20220806_211304.jpg IMG_20220806_211334.jpg

Hi!, perfect pictures, thanks. Do you know if gen 1 has the vin in the same place?

Back