Vin x transmission vs vin E 5r55e FWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vin x transmission vs vin E 5r55e FWD

Mokdiara

Reaction score
City, State
wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
Ive read only buy a transmission that has the same 8th letter on the vin no# X or E. My speed sens is coming on and has some slippage. I found another ford explorer with a good transmission Identical to mine, same yr, both 4x4 and the door panel has the same letters for both the transmission and the rear axle identical to mine. as a matter of fact mine was built 10 /98 his was built 9/98.
the difference is my vin 8th letter says X his says E. Is there any difference in these transmissions? he told me as long as the door panel reads same transmission code they are the same and will change out bolt per bolt and the computer will accept it. He says he's a mechanic and knows this for a fact. but he is also a seller wanting to part out his vehicle. can anyone tell me the difference between the two or why they say vin 8th letter must be identical..

Does the transmission from either OHV vin X SOHC Vin E differ? don't both these have an overdrive? I'm supposed to pick up the transmission tomorrow and desperate for an answer.

I just found my transmission has about 2 or 3 quarts of tranny fluid past the full mark. (just bought the vehicle) I can see how this can cause slippage at higher gears, tranny heats and foams the fluid, but could this cause the speed sensor to flash on my instrument panel? I'm wondering if drained to proper level if it will correct itself, or is that sensor once activated is permanent until I go into the tranny and replace it.

The 8th letter of the VIN refers to the engine. X = 4.0 OHV E = 4.0 SOHC As long as the trans codes on the doors are the same then the trans are able to be swapped and the computer plugs will match up.

Thank you VERY much, ive been talking to tranny places, and they said no we don't have a vin x transmission just 4 vin E's. they were acting like the vin X transmission was the most expensive holy grail of ford transmissions, and if swapped the world would end.:salute:

Back