Vinyl Wrapping Peeling Front Grill? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vinyl Wrapping Peeling Front Grill?

The "chrome" on the front grill on my 08 explorer is peeling off. Has anyone tried to repair this themselves by buying chrome vinyl wrap or by painting it? Or has anyone taken their grill to a vinyl wrap shop and had them wrap it in chrome vinyl?

I don't really want to paint it using "chrome" paint, I think it will look worse than it is now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im in the same boat as you. It looks like it would jut pell off in small bits and be a sob to take off. Hinking sanding it down might be the only way.

Have you considered resurfacing it and painting with a flat or matte color? Chrome paint may not turn out well (I have no experience with it), but black could look pretty sharp. Plenty of options are out there, in lieu of wrapping, such as plasti-dip, urethane coatings (think Rhino Liner without the grit), etc. This would also make the Ford badge pop out more predominantly.

It is a plastic chrome so I would use paint intended for plastics like Krylon Fusion. Prep the surface like wetsanding, cleaning and applying adhesion promoter.

I am in the same boat... Mine is bubbling and peeling. I was just going to sand it down a bit then plasti-dip it black. My goal was to remove all the chrome on the truck anyways.

just had this issue over the weekend, peeled off all the chrome gave it a good sanding by hand and plasti dipped it black, i think it looks much better now

Back