Violent front end shaking in tight turns above 35 mph | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Violent front end shaking in tight turns above 35 mph

iajet

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 & '10 XLT 4x4
Driving on the corkscrew on ramp this morning at 4 and my truck starts to violently shake (right hand turn). Well its early and I wasn't quite awake yet. Huh...No problems going straight at highway speeds. Transition from one freeway to another and the same thing happens, again a right hand turn. I am awake now!! I get off at the next exit and poke my head under the truck and see nothing out of the ordinary. In the interest of safety I decide I am not driving another 50 miles to get to work. On my way home, transitioning from one freeway to another, left hand turn this time, I get the violent front end shake.

As it is Sunday the front end/alignment shop is not open.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if its a bad cv shaft or maybe the controltrac is engaged?

How are the ball joints and tie rods?

Ball joints were replaced about two years ago as the boots were ripped and they look fine. Tie rods look fine, cv boots look great. There are no oils or grease anywhere. I just drove it around in tight circles both forwards and backwards without any noises or jumping.

Thanks

I had a tie rod come apart doing 80 on the freeway years ago, in a Ford Ranger, that was sporty.

Months ago I thought there was a louder than normal hum/whine that became very loud around 50 mph. A local mechanic said it was the knoby tires. I wasn#t convinced but there weren't any other symptoms to say otherwise. Maybe that was the beginning of whatever issue I have now. Cv joint maybe?

Btw the shaking starts around 40 mph and in turns only.

Ball joints were replaced about two years ago as the boots were ripped and they look fine. Tie rods look fine, cv boots look great. There are no oils or grease anywhere. I just drove it around in tight circles both forwards and backwards without any noises or jumping.

Thanks

How about the hubs?
Although it does sound like a CV issue.

Hubs? What do you mean?

FWIW....

I took the truck into the dealer this morning and they said that there was air in the power steering system. The dealer mechanic bleed it and I retraced my steps of the other morning and no more violent shaking. He noticed that the serpentine belt was replaced and mentioned that when the steering wheel is manipulated, for whatever reason, when the truck is not running air can get into the system.

I recently had the serpentine belt, water pump and thermostat replaced at another shop. I guess that mechanic had turned the wheel some and somehow air got into the system....put that into your list of possibilities!

Thanks for all your input.

The air in the power steering system is well documented here. I'm suprised this thread went this far without someone pointing that out to you.

The bleed is simply turning the steering wheel lock to lock several time at a crawl speed. Make sure the power steering system is full before you do the above.

I'm actually still suprised that FORD never documented this in the owners manual. It's a real scare when it happens, is very common and easily addressed.

yeah, this happens quite often. i don't know where the air comes from, but you should never turn the wheels with them off the ground and the engine off. it's a Ford thing

Thanks again.. I should have searched prior to posting.

Back